Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Final days

The boys’ covid tests were gnarly. Giant, adult-sized nasal swabs that I had to administer - Theo was not having it. I finally had to hold his head down and Bobby hold his hands down to even attempt to get the swab remotely near his nose. I’m pretty convinced we didn’t get any kind of a sample at all. Still, they both passed - they got a 65. Lol.

Then this morning I was told in an email from the school that the test had to be administered within seven days of return to school (which for Bobby would be Wednesday) and not “starting on the 12th” as I had originally been told. I checked with the principal and yes, in fact, I would have to test them again. Argh! I tried to make a new appointment for any day between now and Sunday, and guess what? There are none. I was just about to email the principal again to ask if I could just take them to Kaiser when she told me the boys’ names were not on “the list” of kids that hadn’t tested yet, so they were cleared to come to school. Jesus Christ.

This is going to be our lives for the next couple of weeks (at least). Just lots of misinformation, changing information, and frantic last-minute scrambles. I feel for the people handing out information only to have it change at the last second over and over. Hey, soon enough that will be me dealing with my own event. So I get it. 

Still no word on afterschool care. My guess is they are not going to get this sorted out before school starts, so we’ll have at least a week of morning pick ups. It’s going to be a weird week next week. I’m girding myself for it.

In other news, I took the chance of booking a Hawaii trip using our points and miles for the week of Christmas, the one I know can’t be affected by a changing school schedule. Third time is a charm, I hope. It’ll be to Maui which was the first island I visited back in 1999. God, if this works out it’ll be so amazing. The kids may even be fully vaccinated by then so no crazy tests and worry about not getting results in time, or worry about catching it while traveling. Sigh. Let’s hope this all works out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment