Wednesday, December 2, 2020

December

It’s December, and the final of our holiday trifecta. I’m not feeling the holiday spirit yet - it’s hard with no parties or seeing family or reasons to get dressed up - but I’m going to try to muster up some semblance of something over the next few weeks.

Yesterday I spent way too long designing this year’s Christmas card and picture block ornament. So that’s done. We decorate this weekend (and I will finally take down my RESIST mantelpiece display). I am going to attempt to make a wreath using these holly-esque branches from a tree in our yard; I figure every year the least I can do is attempt one new craft project. I’ve never made a wreath before. I bought a frame on amazon and I’m just going to wing it. How hard can it be? Right? 

The boys are in this funny information bubble where, unlike us at their age, they are not inundated with endless toy commercials all day, so they have no idea what they want for Christmas. I’m sure online video game purchases and Robux or whatever the fuck would be what they really want, but where’s the fun in that? Bobby once intimated he wanted a lava lamp. Beyond that...I got nothin.

As always happens when I get home from a trip, I spent yesterday frantically trying to set up our next trip, specifically to replace our canceled Hawaii trip for January. But there’s one unfortunate reality, even here in California - other than renting a cabin, there’s really no way to camp for about six months out of the year. I was hoping to maybe go to Zion and/or Navajo land, but the fact is it’s just going to be too damned cold until about May. Sigh. We have Joshua Tree in two weeks, and a weekend in Lake Arrowhead in mid-Jan. But still...I’m in despair at the thought of a long, monotonous winter with nowhere to go and nothing to do, and nothing but climbing coronavirus cases and misery until spring. We had a “returning to campus” zoom with our principal on Monday; the word is, basically, there will be no return to school any time soon. I’m thinking April or May. That’s my prediction. 

Still, I have to admit I’m bolstered by the promise of a Biden/Harris administration and coming vaccines. Could we have a normal life by fall? Will enough people get vaccinated? Can my kids start second and fourth grade normally? Can I run my event and have an income again? Will my band perform again? God I hope I can look back on this terrible moment a year from now and breathe a sigh of relief knowing it’s over. That’s my wish for 2021.




No comments:

Post a Comment