Thursday, April 18, 2019

Zoo camp

We’re getting to the end of the boys’ spring break week at Zoo Camp. They’ve enjoyed it, and I’m thinking of making it an annual thing. But I have to say - picking them up at three has been a real drag. It’s just that much more time at home with two kids bored and full of energy, and it’s been extremely challenging. Why not take them to a park, you ask? Well, because when I suggest it they both protest so loudly I figure it’s better to just tough it out at home. Well, to be fair, Theo is game, but Bobby isn’t. And we’ve had too many instances of Bobby bored and exhausted and whiny at parks for me to want any more of them.

Due to Southern California’s super bloom, Bobby’s allergies have gotten really out of control. I kept him home from school one day because his eye was so red and swollen I thought it was pink eye (thereby ending his perfect attendance streak) - but it turned out to be just extreme allergies. I started him on Claritin, which did nothing - then Zyrtec, which also did nothing for about a week but seems to be working now (that or the allergies have finally passed). Sunday night he coughed so hard he threw up all over his bed. Just when I thought I’d gotten off the hook with a puke-free winter....oy. 

He also has started pooping his pants every couple of days after months of no accidents. Back to the drawing board. He does it at home, usually during dinner. He says the bathroom is “too far away” and he doesn’t feel like getting up. What the fuck. 

In other news, I’ve gotten both boys started on some simple chores around the house. Bobby does a load of towels in the laundry and sweeps under the kitchen table; Theo waters the plant and sweeps the porch. I’ve opened savings accounts for them and put their birthday money in there. I’m going to start them on an allowance. It’s a lot of work, managing these chores, teaching them how to do things, making sure they follow through. But I’m determined to make these kids more independent and teach them how to do things rather than just doing everything myself. 

My edible garden is underway - I’ve paid the deposit, and hopefully soon I’ll have three spots in my yard with different fruits and vegetables, and a nice cutting garden. It’s not going to be cheap, but with everything properly irrigated, it may finally be my path to gardening success after lots of failures. 

This weekend we’re having our annual Easter egg hunt. I’d like to finally dye some eggs this year - it’s just so hard getting two boys to settle down for projects like that. This has been my struggle lately; the boys’ crazy, out of control energy. I find them utterly exhausting. Bobby on his own is fine - he’s naturally a quiet, thoughtful boy. But pair him with his much more energetic younger brother and fireworks. Theo’s teacher said to me that this sibling combination - two boys, close in age - is the most difficult of them all. It was such a relief to hear that, since most of the time I find it so frustrating and draining being around them. I just want peace and quiet, and they are so loud and full of this manic, sharp energy that gets on my last nerve. I can’t wait for the summer when the pool can absorb a lot of that - tomorrow I’m going to set up the hot tub for when we get home from camp so we can just hang out there all night and they can splash around to their hearts’ content. Then Easter stuff all weekend...but then I start traveling at the end of next week. Can’t wait!




No comments:

Post a Comment