Sunday, January 20, 2019

Strike, week two

Bobby’s pink eye cleared up enough on Thursday that I took him to his afterschool program - and discovered to my delight that his is one of the rec centers that had been offering free all day childcare for the duration of the strike. So they both went Friday and I’ll take them next week and as long as I need to. Whew! Thank you, Mr. Garcetti.

The rain cleared up as well, so I dressed in red, hopped the train and joined a massive teacher rally at city hall on Friday. It was awesome. 

Saturday was the return of Resistance Witch at the third annual Women’s March:



In the middle of all this, I drove down to Newport Beach (two hour drive) Fri & Sat nights to sing at an event, then returned Sunday to be interviewed for a podcast. It’s been a Tetris-style weekend with non-stop running around, little sleep, and crazy tight scheduling. I have a headache. I am exhausted. 

Everything went smoothly, though - even the new songs I had to sing - except for the fact that last night as I was at the gig, apparently a couple of guys came up to our porch and poked around in the windows, looking to break in. The BF and kids were on the couch with the lights off watching a movie. When they saw my BF they ran off. Thankfully the kids had no idea what happened and still don’t - but I am thoroughly freaked out. The fact that two guys would walk through our gate and come up three flights of stairs to our house is so scarily ballsy, I shudder to imagine what would have happened had I been here alone (which I am almost every night). And I currently have nothing but a thin piece of plywood leaned against the open holes in my kitchen where the windows should be. Anyone could just walk right in here. It’s horrifying. And I hate this feeling like I’m a sitting duck. How I wish I could still sleep with a loaded gun under my pillow like I did for years! Those days are over. At least until the kids leave home. I may have to oil up that .38 once I no longer have to worry about kids getting their hands on it. 

Strike continues this week for an indeterminate time. One day at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. Omg!!! How scary! Thank goodness everyone is okay. Still terrifying.

    ReplyDelete