Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Strike, week one

Welp, LAUSD teachers are on strike. We just finished up day two. The situation is so acrimonious I can’t imagine it will end well. Honestly? I think it’s going to end with the teachers’ union having to cave just to get back to work. I don’t want this - but I’m not the one facing financial hardship. I want them to hold out to the bitter end. But that’s easy to say now.

There are several other circumstances making this week more difficult than it should be for us - Bobby has pink eye, which means he can’t go to his afterschool program and I can’t work out at the Y or get any exercise, and today we had to forfeit his violin lesson. It’s also been pouring rain, cold, and miserable, and this is going to continue all week. So...let me get this straight...it doesn’t rain at all for seven years and now when the teachers have to march around outdoors all day and I can’t send the kids to school or afterschool, it suddenly decides to pour rain for an entire week? You’re kidding me...right? 

Still, so far it’s not so bad. We have that heady mix of vacation feeling while not actually on vacation...I don’t roll out of bed until after nine, the kids languish in front of the tv, I cook and clean and squeeze in work time while they watch movies, and...it’s really ok. The only thing I miss is exercising. That may come back when Bobby’s pink eye resolves. We’ll see.

It’s hard to predict how this will go as time drags on...right now it feels easy. Being stuck with kids all day, day after day, when they’re old enough to entertain each other and themselves, is way easier than little kids who need way more supervision. 

The kitchen is going to be left untouched all week. The countertop/tiling guy came to take measurements but can’t do any install until next week. Meanwhile we wait on the re-make of the screwed up windows, which, honestly, could be more than a month away. The kitchen designer won’t tell me, and I kind of don’t want to know. But just doing the math...yeah. I think we’re looking at February. Sigh. 




No comments:

Post a Comment