Friday, December 14, 2018

Bah Humbug

It’s been a brutal week. For the first time in nearly fifteen years I got completely blindsided by horrific jet lag - popping awake at 1 AM and being completely wired until it was time to get the kids up for school, every day, whether I napped during the day or tried to push through without napping and felt like dying. It was horrid. Everything had to be canceled or pushed to next week. Last night I finally rallied and made peppermint bark and coconut balls for Theo’s teachers, my cleaning lady, my six band members and a couple of friends I’ll see this weekend. Luckily another parent coordinated gifts for Bobby’s teachers. Phew! Thank you other mom for taking on that physical/emotional labor.

It was a week of kids’ Christmas shows and winding down the school year. Now three (!) weeks off for Christmas. I hope the kids like the sports camp I signed them up for. Three disadvantages of this camp - it’s pretty far away, so we’ll have to leave early and drive a long time; I have to make lunches (currently both boys eat their school cafeteria lunch); and pickup is at 3:30 each day. But right now I’m going to try to be grateful for the small things - they have a place to go each day, and it’s paid for. Most of my labor other than website stuff is done for now, so it should be a fairly relaxing time. Fingers crossed. 

Talk among LA parents is of the probable upcoming teacher’s strike. They’re saying it’ll likely start the first week the kids should be back in school in January. Apparently you can still take your kids to school, but there will be no instruction, and there will be just a handful of former office workers with no background checks loosely supervising the kids with zero training - uh, no. I’m extremely fortunate to be in a position to keep my kids home with no economic consequences. I intend to do that to show support for the teachers. But yeah...it’s going to be brutal. I hope things can be resolved quickly. 

Last night I finally got *some* sleep so I feel up to resuming normal functions - get some work done today, try to go out for a rare night of dancing, sing tomorrow. I have yet to do any Christmas shopping or wrapping; this is all going to have to happen next week. No activity on the kitchen at all this week; no word about next week, either. *sigh*




No comments:

Post a Comment