Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Kitchen halfway mark

Tomorrow they wrap up drywall and mudding the kitchen. I had hoped to not have work being done this week while the kids are off school, but it hasn’t been so bad. I think I put so much energy into anticipating the annoyance of not having a kitchen that now that it’s here, it’s inconvenient but not terrible. This is the kitchen today:





It still looks like nothing. I know how these projects are - it’s a whole lot of nothing for a long time, then it all comes together at the end. It won’t really look like much until I’m back from my trip and they start tiling and installing cabinets. It’s hard to imagine we’ll ever have a kitchen again. But we will, and it’ll be awesome. 

So far the week with no school has gone ok - this is the first time I haven’t had at least one kid in preschool at least some of the time. But the kids are so independent now - they can play up in the attic space unattended, we can go to the Y and they can go to the childcare area contentedly, they can watch cartoons in the morning until I feel like dragging my carcass out of bed. Yesterday we did our very first geocache hunt - we found two, then couldn’t find three and called it a day at a new park.



Geocaching is something I’ve wanted to try for ages and I felt like they were finally old enough. There was a lot of whining and fretful getting in and out of the car, but it ended up being pretty fun. I want to start placing some, too. I think they’d enjoy that more. 

So in two days I cook Thanksgiving dinner for possibly nine people on my hot plate and in my microwave. It’s going to be an adventure for sure, especially bringing the furniture back out of the shed and trying to find all the linens and plates I packed away. But everyone knows we’re operating at a major handicap, so hopefully it’ll be fun. Sometimes when everyone knows it’s not going to be perfect it takes the pressure off. 

Then the following Friday I leave for Thailand. Looking forward to/dreading it. 


1 comment: