Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Paperwork is my jam

I applied for Theo’s potential ETK school today. It’s amazing the amount of paperwork required for public school - I find it kind of fascinating (and a little depressing) all the scenarios kids in school are party to. There’s forms for all kinds of low income programs, Native American programs, questions about if the child is a runaway or in foster care or homeless, questions about current living situations (shelter, trailer, car, etc), questions about your pregnancy and birth, questions about restraining orders. The guy at the counter asked about the blank father sections. I said Theo is a sperm donor kid, so no legal father. He said, “oh, cool.” Gotta love millennials. 

I feel about 75% confident he’ll be admitted there, although there’s always a chance the neighborhood will have a surge of kids and Theo, zoned for another district, won’t have a spot. Although I went to a less popular but much closer school yesterday and left my name on a list. This other school would be a lot more convenient - I could easily drop both kids myself in the morning - but is lower rated. I have to admit, though, that for logistical reasons I might just have him go there if he can. I know people who’s kids went there and loved it; also it gets great reviews from parents even if the test scores aren’t great. My neighborhood is tricky since some 80% of the kids aren’t native English speakers; it doesn’t always mean the schools are bad, it just means these kids have more on their plates. Also, whatever school he goes to will only be for one year. As long as the school is safe not much else matters at this age.

I am a bit panicked about this upcoming holiday weekend with no plans. Sometimes they just sneak up on you, you know? I tried desperately to get us a camping spot to no avail; there’s a vintage picnic I love going to but a friend has put on a party at the same time which will take anyone I would have gone to the picnic with. I’m at a loss. I think I’m going to have to get creative and come up with some “staycation” ideas like treasure hunts and beach days. I suck at this. 

Paperwork is my jam. Creative entertainment of small children is not. 




1 comment:

  1. Have you thought of geocaching? Like a treasure hunt but you get to enjoy the walk too? I plan on doing that once my son is older!

    ReplyDelete