Friday, May 18, 2018

ETK

Today I was chatting with one of the dads at Theo’s Lord of the Flies preschool and he mentioned that his just-turned four year old was going to be leaving to start in an “extended transitional kindergarten” at a local LAUSD elementary school, then the next year head to Bobby’s school for kindergarten. 

Um...what?

When I got home, I frantically googled “extended transitional kindergarten” and found out that, indeed, about ten schools in my neighborhood offer a whole year of basically pre-kindergarten for kids born around when Theo was. Five full days of school a week, and free. 

I found a performing arts magnet with above average ratings and called them - worrying I may be too late, misunderstood the program, or somehow missed the boat - and apparently all I had to do was get a letter from Theo’s intended school allowing him to attend school in another district for that year, and then if they have space he can be admitted, and they make that determination by June 25th.

I raced up to B’s school and got the letter, then raced to the magnet school and met with the guy I had talked to on the phone who was of course shocked to see me, letter in hand. I asked what were Theo’s odds of being admitted there - he said the last two years everyone who’s applied has been admitted. It doesn’t always happen, of course - they have to make room for neighborhood kids, siblings, etc first. So it’s no guarantee. But I think there’s a very good chance. 

If not, there are several other passable schools nearby. I’m confident he can be admitted somewhere. And it’s only for one year - as long as it’s a safe environment (well, shit - is any school “safe” right now?) the academic performance of the school isn’t that important. I mean...he’s four.

So I have reams of kindergarten admission paperwork to compile this weekend, then first thing Monday I’ll take it over there. Then, we wait. 

What does this all mean? Oh, so many things. You know how you think of the moment your youngest child starts school as the moment you get your freedom, the moment you get “you” back, the moment you can start some of the projects/self care you’ve put on the shelf for seven+ years? Well, for me that moment has just been moved up a year. A YEAR. My head is spinning with the ramifications. By mid-August I could have two children in full time, big kid school. No more bullshit half-days or carting kids around from school to school, never having more than a couple of hours to myself. I can’t even imagine it.

Is Theo ready for big kid school? I think so. He’s an affable, easy-going kid who makes friends easily and seems to adjust to new places with aplomb - I think he’ll do great.

This will earn me eight more child-free hours a week. Even picking Theo up right after school each day, which I would, since I would feel weird about him going to an afterschool program every day when he’s so young and there’s no reason I can’t just go get him. I could get Bobby a little earlier, too. Not getting home at 6 pm three days a week would open up so much more time for homework, reading, music practice, play, etc etc. Our nights wouldn’t be a mad rush anymore. 

Oh, and guess what? I will save $725 a month. I’m going to invest that right back into some quality healthcare, which should run about $100 more than that, so I don’t get to keep that money, but it will be better for us all around. 

The one problem is getting two kids to two schools at 8 AM fifteen minutes apart. I have asked the BF if he can take one, and he said he can. I think this will also solve the problem of his dilly-dallying in the mornings, getting to work too late, and then staying too late. If not I can always drop B earlier, which is not ideal, but doable. 

My head was positively bursting all day with all of the possibilities and also all of the paperwork and steps to make this happen; now it’s the weekend and I need to just let it go for a while. 

See why it’s important to occasionally talk to people??




No comments:

Post a Comment