Saturday, October 29, 2016

Ready, Set, Go!

The Boyfriend is giving 30 day notice at his apartment and moving in with me by December. Here we go!

I'm happy to say I feel really good about it and have no reservations. We had a very intense conversation about moving in a few weeks ago and really hammered out all of the remaining issues, almost all of which revolved around money.

I came to realize a fact - this is, he makes very little money. And will probably always make very little money, despite working his butt off. Basically, he's the working poor. I've been there. I need to let go of the dream that he might one day "hit it big" in his business. It might happen, but it might not. All my life I told myself, and anyone that would listen, that I don't care how much money a man makes, as long as he can cover himself and won't mooch off of me. As long as he's a hard worker, enjoys his work, and has integrity. Well, I've found all those things. Am I really going to break up with this man because his income doesn't reach some arbitrary number I have in my head? It's time to put up or shut up. 

So for now we have a financial plan that works for both of us. I'm sure this isn't the end of the conversation, and I know this stuff can get tricky. But you have to try things in life. 

I've never lived with anyone before; never even been close. I'm a little nervous, of course. Last night I asked him to promise me that he won't suddenly morph into a dangerous psychopath the minute he moves in here. He laughed. As one who's been divorced twice and lived with countless women, I'm sure this is old hat to him.

He's pretty much lived here since the minute we started dating anyway. With the exception of the couple of weeks when we broke up in June, he's spent all but maybe two nights a month at this house; we already share a closet and drawers. He has no stuff to speak of. So our day-to-day lives won't change except that he'll be giving me money now, which will be awesome. 

He did tell me when we had our big talk that I should be prepared that he may never want to get married again. This surprised me since all he's talked about for the last year is wanting to marry me. But I get it. I don't feel anywhere near ready for a step like that - and, really, marriage would only be a disadvantage to me since I'm the one with all the stuff (can you say iron-clad pre-nup?). But I do want to get married. Or maybe I just want a big party and a princess dress. It's hard to know what the real motivation is sometimes.

Anyway...here goes nothin'!

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's exciting!!! Congratulations on taking this momentous step!

    ReplyDelete