Sunday, June 7, 2015

Double-fister of a day

Today was the day I had two back-to-back dates. I am exhausted. And disappointed. And broke.

The first guy, who I had contacted on POF and spoke to on the phone, I met at a street fair. Kind of a mistake since there was no set end time; I had allotted three hours. The minute I saw him I just wanted to go home.

Oh, this poor, poor man. I've met guys like this on occasion who are - for lack of a better term - kind of scary to look at. It does happen that sometimes people just are really good at taking pictures that hide all their flaws. So he did have pictures that obviously were him...but just him in an alternate universe in which he does not have giant bug eyes, horrid grey teeth, a flabby body and an uncomfortable-in-his-skin affect about him. I could see by the look on his face when he saw me that he knew I would never go for him. So we walked around the festival for a bit - ran into a friend I had to introduce him to - and I somehow made my escape after about an hour. Awful!

Then I had to kill two hours so I went to Target to buy some sexy bras. For whom, you might ask? For whom indeed.

Then I met guy #2 who was nice enough and ok looking but was one of these really introverted, closed-in guys who barely made eye contact. In other words - your classic non-scary internet dater; nice enough guy but super boring and with zero sex appeal. I think this was another instance where we both knew it wasn't happening.

He was in his 50s and I'm beginning to wonder if that's just too old for me. All the guys in their 50s are grey or bald and paunchy, and they just feel old to me. Might be time to focus more on people closer to my age.

I've also been tweaking my profiles in reaction to people's response to it. Instead of leading with the kids I've taken them out of it, only having it as a box I ticked rather than a paragraph about how much I want to meet a single dad. I think it's too restrictive really since I don't care that much if the guy has kids or not. So many people have said, "well, I'm not a dad, so..." that I feel it's time to remove that requirement. 

So as of right now I am meeting one more guy Tuesday, but that's it. I have people I wrote to who look at my profile multiple times a day but never write me back. I have people I've exchanged messages with who never ask to meet me. I have tons of people I wrote to who read the message, looked at my profile, and then never wrote back. Sigh. It is utterly exhausting.

It's so typical that the one guy I really liked, who really liked me back, couldn't stand kids. Ain't that some bullshit? Some days you just can't win. Today was one of those days.

2 comments:

  1. Exhausting is right! Hopefully persistence is key & if you keep at it, you'll meet a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of frogs out there. At least you can entertain us with your stories! That's something.

    ReplyDelete