Friday, March 13, 2015

Training, weaning and whining

Modern life is a funny thing. When I was a kid I used to take my little 70s transistor radio to bed with the one earpiece and listen to the music and voices all night and it gave me such comfort, knowing I would never meet any of these people or ever be one of those voices, but content to just listen and absorb at a distance. Today I listen to podcasts on my phone to go to sleep, again not imagining I will meet these people or be a part of it but just receiving it. But guess what? I might get the opportunity to be on one!

I found a new (to me) podcast in which comedians talk about their mental health issues, and sometimes the host features listeners talking about their issues. On a whim I emailed this guy last night to ask if he'd ever be interested in my story of escape from a cult, with the resultant family fracture/anxiety/depression. I didn't expect to hear back from him - but he wrote back right away to ask if I ever get to LA, and today we wrote back and forth trying to find a day to meet to talk about it. This doesn't mean I'll be on the show - he may pass, or wait until he feels it's appropriate. But I am super excited. Me? On a podcast??? So awesome!!!

On another whim, I decided to put Bobby in underpants today. We spent yesterday with a friend who is younger than B and is completely potty trained; I thought I would take the opportunity to talk to him about it, show him the underpants I have stowed away, and ask him if he wanted to try. He was really into it, and I was so proud he stayed dry all morning...until right before we got to school, when I handed him a drink and he had a HUGE pee all over the car seat. I had put down a "piddle pad" in the seat for just such an occasion, but it failed miserably - the entire seat was soaked. Wah wah wah wah...once changed and at school I told the teachers what I was trying, but when I picked him up he had been in a diaper all day (apparently at his request). I'm not sure where to go from here other than to keep trying...I mean, Bobby not in diapers is going to seriously cramp my style and completely change everything that we do, and make my life a lot more difficult and complicated...but I recognize that it's not about my comfort but where he needs to be developmentally; he's going to be three, we need to get this show on the road. So, I'll just keep trying...and cleaning up pee (and worse).

Today is Theo's first birthday and I have decided his last nursing session. This morning was just miserable with him screaming in frustration and me feeling vacuumed; we're done. It's been a pleasure, but both of my boys deserve to move on up in life now. Does this mean I get to have my post-weaning tattoo at last done? ((Bites nails))

3 comments:

  1. Exciting about the podcast. I'd love to hear your story told. It's a pain to move out of diapers because, yes, your life does temporarily become all about when they last went potty, if there is a potty wherever you are going (park,etc), dropping everything and running to the potty as soon as they look sideways... But just remember accidents are going to help him learn and are an expected part of the process. He's always been expected to pee in his diaper so it's tough to change that habit! But with the accidents (and you calmly and positively expecting him to help deal with them by changing and putting his clothes in the laundry, etc) he'll quickly catch on. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Claire - I'd love to hear your story. If you do get on the podcast, make sure you give us the details! I don't think I've ever listened to a podcast, so I'd have to figure out how, but it can't be that complicated, right?

    Good luck with potty training. I'm SO dreading it! I hope Bobby catches on quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool about the podcast. I hope it pans out! I'd love the chance to listen.

    Don't rush the potty training. Starting too soon will just be so frustrating on you both. & don't blame yourself for setbacks either...it's a tough concept & he is only 3!!

    ReplyDelete