Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Being verbal

The past few days have been a whirlwind of gigs and party planning and running around with the kids. I have not had a moment to just sit and chill with my phone, and thanks to the $&#%! time change have had very little sleep for days. 

Things have been good. Bobby has hit a new developmental leap of some kind - suddenly really talking, like, you can have a conversation with this kid. I noticed something else about that - he plays much better with kids at playgrounds now that he can talk, or rather, the other kids play much better with him. I was shocked when he fell in with a group of older boys on Sunday (a situation that always fills me with dread because it never ends well and I end up having to drag him away screaming from his new "friends" who are actually horrid little bullies) and somehow they all managed to play nicely. Shocked. I think it's the language. I really do.

Today one of the other preschool mothers asked if Bobby was my kid, and said she thinks her daughter has a crush on him because she talks about him all the time. Tee hee! Poor girl doesn't know Bobby is spending his time talking about and drawing pictures of another girl named Amelia. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

Speaking of the love lives of this family, so I saw my Love Interest at our monthly meeting last night. You guys. I think there may be some hope there. We had a great time, as always, and I never mentioned our date to get veggie pho that never happened, nor did I intend to. Just as we were all saying goodbye and I had turned to get in my car, he blurted out awkwardly, "so...um...veggie pho next week...?" My heart leapt. I just knew by the look on his face that he was into me. I knew it. I had a huge grin all the way home. Not that this even means anything will ever happen between us. But there is interest there. I know it.

All I had to do to get this interest was not be so eager. Isn't that some bullshit? I hate all this dating game-playing crap and swore I would never do it again. But time and time again this thing of making the man pursue you instead of pursuing him, works. Why are we wired this way? Why can't we just be forthright and honest?

As is illustrated so brilliantly in the movie Tootsie, we think we can be honest, but we can't. In one scene a woman tells another woman who's really a man that she would love it if a man came up to her and said "I'd really like to make love to you," but then when that same man does that exact thing, she throws a drink in his face. There you go.

So what happens now? I don't know. I may just leave it, what with my sister coming in town for a week and birthday party stuff and my friend visiting after...or I may try to squeeze him in. So to speak. 

3 comments:

  1. The talking, really talking, is amazing! I love the conversations I have with Elsie now. And I love the conversation she has with herself, her stuffed animals, imaginary friends, etc. :)

    And keep updating us on the love inteerest. I need to live vicariously!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so there with you on the talking. You know how long I had to wait for this with Elena & it makes such a huge difference in so many ways!

    Sounds promising with your love interest. I hate that game too, of seeming uninterested to make them interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, heh. Squeeze him in. :)

    I say don't make a decision about scheduling him. Wait for him to follow up (unless you guys already set a date). Otherwise, set a deadline (in your head) for him to follow up, and if you haven't heard by then, THEN decided it will have to be after your other plans are dealt with. But mum's the word.

    Yes, sigh, the chase business sucks.

    ReplyDelete