Thursday, August 1, 2013

A little gratitude

I went to see Peter Murphy last Saturday night. He was doing a retrospective of Bauhaus, his former band and pretty much the mother of all goth bands (and the entire goth phenomenon). I can't say I was ever really a goth - I didn't have the hair or makeup skills - but I was very depressive and completely obsessed with this band in the 80s. So it was a real walk down memory lane for me.

Peter Murphy is now old and balding and paunchy, as one becomes in one's late fifties. But he put on a good show, with enough gothic posturing to keep his equally aging audience happy. I couldn't help chuckling at the irony of driving to a Bauhaus concert with a back seat full of baby carriers and strollers, and a new nubbin in my belly. How times have changed.

Being as it was a tribute to the 35th anniversary of his former band, he told lots of stories. At the end of the show he said, "thank you for feeding my children." My heart caught in my throat. Thank you for feeding my children. If that doesn't sum up how we should all feel about whoever pays our bills, I don't know what does!

I've felt really shitty and ungrateful lately, annoyed by the customers bugging me with inane requests or more problems that keep cropping up with my upcoming event. But every once in a while I think it's important to pull my head out of my ass and remember that it's these people that feed my children. As stressful and insecure as my line of work is, it is a remarkable way to make a living, allows me tons of free time and freedom from the need for daycare, and has literally made having babies as a single woman possible. So lest I forget, I'd like to say to each and every person who pays to be at my event, thank you for feeding my children!


No comments:

Post a Comment