Friday, May 17, 2013

Update on "Ahhhhhhhhh"

I wish I had a fun story about a crazy last-minute IUI today, but alas it was not to be. The nurse practitioner called me back at noon, and luckily I had the presence of mind to not demand all sorts of things but instead explain what symptoms I'd been having and ask her medical opinion about what I should do. She explained I really should have my prolactin levels checked before doing anything - that yes, your body can act very much like it's ovulating when in fact the prolactin levels may still be high enough to suppress an actual egg from releasing (and any drugs I could take would not help this). And, of course, I have to have that paperwork in. So since I already have that appointment with the Kaiser midwife next Thursday, I can kill a bunch of birds with one stone - paperwork signed off, prolactin checked, discussion about methods to combat both pre-eclampsia and morning sickness (I especially want to make sure I stock up on any morning sickness remedies now, since last time I was too sick to even leave the house to buy myself anything - that is NOT happening again, dammit!). So, that's the plan. And once again, sit around and wait for a period to show up. 

Naturally I'm a bit deflated - I'm pretty convinced I'm ovulating right now, and I'm missing it. But I looked at my calendar and trying in June isn't so terrible; it's not great, but July wasn't great last time either and it all worked out in the end. I'd hate for B and a sibling to have birthdays right on top of each other, but that's getting a little ahead of myself!

In the end I want to put my best foot forward and not waste those $600 vials of sperm, and rooting around in the dark would be doing just that. So, we wait.

Oh, and my bra is full of cabbage leaves. I feel like a salad. 

4 comments:

  1. I hate that panic of feeling like you're missing your big opportunity. But it probably will be better to make sure everything is up and running properly before diving in -- frustrating, though! I'm really hoping that your morning sickness from before doesn't repeat itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Sorry you feel like a salad.

    FWIW, I have a very close friend from college who LOVES having a birthday that is just 2 days (and 2 years) different from her younger brother's birthday. It's not the worst thing in the world if the siblings have close birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so know that feeling. Best to follow the advice though - maybe next month. And I agree, birthdays close together are no problem at all really (except perhaps when it comes to budgeting for their presents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at the last two sentences. :)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete