Sunday, May 19, 2013

I survived

I survived my San Diego gig last night! I thought I would drive off the road on the way home - it came close a couple of times - but shoving random food into my face at various intervals and my This American Life ap kept me just enough awake to arrive home at 3 AM relatively crash-free.

I also may have survived weaning. Today is the first day in ages I did not wake up in more pain than the day before. Not having that level of constantly elevating pain means I woke up in a FABULOUS mood today. Oh, don't get me wrong. It still hurts like a mother. But yesterday my very large, hard left boob had red splotches on it and I started to worry I was on the road to mastitis. The last time I saw splotches like that was when my milk first came in. And it was so, so painful yesterday. But. I think we may be on the road to recovery. I don't know if I can say the liberal use of cabbage leaves has helped me, or if this thing just ran its course finally. I guess you never know if treatments actually work - I often wonder if my epidural worked, since I was still in so much pain after it. Or would the pain have been so much worse had I not had it...?

After having my blackout shades hung, I can say with a great deal of joy that B has slept until 7 the last two days! Huzzah! I don't know why but that one extra hour makes a huge difference (although nine or even eight would be much better). And these days when he wakes he tends to play around for about twenty minutes or so before calling out to me. It makes me wonder how much more sleep I'd get if he had his own room...?

Which brings me to my next house project...I am seriously considering building a room for B. Didn't you just do this with the attic, you ask? Yes. However, unfortunately it's obvious that he cannot be left up here unattended for years (I'm not cool with him scaling that ladder until he's at least five...maybe seven?). And there may be another baby. And I kind of want my bedroom back. But I certainly can't be shelling out for construction projects right now. Still, to replace part of the old second bedroom wall and then build a long hallway so there will still be direct access to the bathroom from the living room, would be great. I squeal with delight when I think about decorating a real boy's room instead of just an open holding area for boxes of junk...but oh, the expense! And the mess of concrete dust and men tromping in and out. But it's either that or switch out all the furniture and closets so B can have my room while I move out into the open area...and that's a huge pain in the ass, too. I suppose I could get an estimate. It's too bad this upstairs contractor has pissed me off so bad by not installing my cabinet doors yet - I don't know if I'd be willing to use him again after this. 

Here is a picture of the creepy Japanese blow up bouncy horse I got B for his birthday:


5 comments:

  1. I thought you had an office? Is it possible to move B into the office, and the office into you bedroom...or even your office in a area of the attic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could - unfortunately the office is just a cheaply done enclosed porch with no insulation and rotting floorboards, also too small for a bed. But good for a basic desk & some storage (and tons of spiders)

      Delete
  2. Yeah for making it home alive and pain leveling off - and for waking up in FABULOUS mood!

    And hooray for anything that means an extra hour of sleep!! I sure wish blackout shades were the answer here. But we already have that and mine are usually up before the sun rises (4 a.m. yesterday!).

    Also, Ashlynn reminds me of your description of B when you were out (and what I saw a little of firsthand). She has now she has entered the "I found something little - and clearly not edible, it must go in my mouth" phase. I just pulled a strand of carpet fiber (that she managed to pull off of a rug) out of her darling mouth. Tell me it gets better when they are walking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's one great thing about walking - no more shoving of every little thing on the floor into the mouth!

      Delete
  3. Glad you got home safe. Also that the weaning pain seems to finally be coming to an end.

    That blow up horse looks fun!!!

    ReplyDelete