Sunday, January 13, 2013

Perfectly delightful

Sleeping baby, home from gig, mind racing. Time to blog, eh?

First off I want to commend two fellow bloggers who are contemplating changing gears in order to create their families. I feel like a total chicken shit in your very presence, for how much I would rather dive into the lake of poo under my house than endure another pregnancy and labor, even if it came easily. That shows the utter lack of gumption on my part.

But few things could be worse than the radio show I listened to while stuck in traffic today. It's a female talk show host who normally I enjoy very much, but today she was just SO off the mark, and was so frigging ignorant, I could hardly stand it. She was talking about the RE who said something about relaxing being essential to getting pregnant (which we all know is utter nonsense, despite old wives' tales to the contrary). She talked about a friend who'd done "the turkey baster" which she also kept referring to as "in vitro" (and I wanted to scream that "the turkey baster" is in fact IUI and is not even close to IVF - although most people I know seem to be under the illusion that I did IVF to get Bumpus, which I did not). Then she went on to talk about her four kids and how easy it is for her to get pregnant and how good at it she is - and she went on and on about this. I winced when I thought of all the infertile women out there who may have happened on that show and how bad it made them feel. Being super fertile is just not something you should brag about, if you ask me. It's like bragging about being rich or good looking. It's just unseemly. But anyway.

So after stressing out all day I told my bandleader about my unwillingness to travel, and not only was he not surprised but was perfectly delightful about it, saying that of course my priorities have changed and for all I do for this band (like all the paperwork, legal & tax stuff) he's so grateful to me, he could never begrudge me anything. And now I feel like a total asshole for the lousy characterization I gave of him recently here. He's really a good guy and deserved a lot more faith than I gave him. So, crisis averted, huh?

At last I can put this issue that's tormented me since my "thinking" days - what to do about band travel - to rest. I feel more like I can embrace the coming changes now rather than dread them. I saw a friend's fifteen month old today, and she was adorable and a riot - running around and playing with crinkly tissue paper and having a grand old time. Maybe this whole toddler thing isn't so scary after all.

2 comments:

  1. So glad it went well with your band leader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that the lady on the radio was ridiculous, and that I'm so glad your post had a happy ending. And that you can finally stop worrying about the band travel issue. Yay!

    ReplyDelete