Monday, January 21, 2013

One born every minute

Suckers, that is. And I believe I became one when I agreed to be the secretary at my Hall of Fame meeting yesterday, rather than resigning from the board entirely which was on my mind when I walked in. So now I'm stuck with this huge responsibility which also requires me to keep three file boxes of paperwork somewhere around here, take minutes every meeting and print and mail them to the members (because of course none of them have computers or use email). Ugh. Just writing about it now makes me think I really need to get the hell out of this thing. I guess I just got suckered in by the fact that here are these helpless old people who desperately need someone to come in and fix things...and I can help them, so I'm morally obligated to help. What is wrong with me? Why can't I just walk away like everyone else? Bleh.

The good news is the construction finishes up this week (fingers crossed); they are painting now in preparation for putting in all the built in cabinets. The changes will be fast and dramatic this week.

Today I am going to a mommy & me movie; I thought to invite my meet up groups to come along but nobody RSVP'd. I'm feeling a little like the unpopular girl at the dance - but oh well, not all of my proposed meet ups can be winners. And I did only give people about a day's notice, and it is a holiday that most of these women will spend with their HUSBANDS.

Last night I had a lovely conversation with someone who contacted me through the SMC website, a thinker just looking to talk. I continually find it amazing how much we women who choose to do this have in common - all those same fears and concerns, similar family dynamics, etc. I think I *may* have enough emails now to at least send out a little feeler to see if anyone's interested in forming a group. They may not, but I think I can at least try. I know these things have to start small. And I know how much those thinking/trying times need community and comraderie.

Am I crazy to think I can make Bumpus' birthday cake myself? After getting a few quotes it looks like I'm in over $150 - which is way outside my budget ( and highway robbery in my opinion). Then it got down to having cute cupcakes made to match the theme instead of a single cake - and then I thought, well, I can friggin' do that myself, for (almost) free. I have professional cake decorating equipment, I know exactly what I want, I can make little printables for toppers. It might actually be fun! So I am considering getting my Pinterest on and doing that.

Here are some pics of our mini golf adventure Saturday. He actually was totally fine & didn't fuss the whole time.








5 comments:

  1. I say if you CAN do the cake yourself and save all that money, then do it! My mom has done cakes for quite a few graduations/weddings/showers (and $150 would be nothing compared to the time and thought she puts into them, but I know where you're coming from), and she's got it down to a science now. If you have room in your freezer, bake your layers ahead of time, double-wrap them in plastic, and freeze them, taking them out with just enough time to thaw before you decorate. Breaking up the baking/decorating takes a lot of the stress off. But if you've got all the equipment, maybe you already know that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, make the cupcakes yourself! and take photos to impress (or intimidate) us with your awesomeness! (i get intimidated as soon as someone mentions PinInterest... I'm easily intimidated!)

    love the last pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, it will probably mostly be my sister's awesomeness, but hey (she offered to help)

      Delete
  3. Can you help your group move into the 21st century by showing them how to use email and saying you'll only stick around if everything is electronic, moving forward?

    My first real job involved writing and designing an 8-page weekly newsletter for a church audience of about 3,000. Any time I made a change, like offering an e-version, you would have thought I'd summoned Satan into the room. People don't like change, but it's been 13 years and that enewsletter is as popular as ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos! I think you can make the cupcakes yourself! You definitely have the talent! I thought about making Elena's but then remembered I have zero cake decorating experience so had one made at the grocery store & was very pleased.

    ReplyDelete