Saturday, January 5, 2013

Night #3

Last night didn't go so great, mostly because the schedule was all messed up because I had a sitter from 8-12:30 and the baby apparently slept this entire time (see, I told you he sleeps better without me!). So when I took him to bed with me at about 1 AM I gave him a little feed figuring that would be the middle of the night feed and I wouldn't feed him again until we woke up. Well, he woke up a couple hours later and I was determined to let him cry rather than feeding him, using the argument that he couldn't possibly be hungry again that soon. But after an hour and a half of screaming I started to question my logic and broke down and fed him. Then we were up for the day at nine and I had gotten maybe five hours of broken-up sleep. Ugh.

Well, tonight's a whole new night and there won't be anything breaking our normal routines, so I'll just keep plodding away. Right now I have zero evidence that any of this will actually work - so far each night has been worse than the last. But I will say my nipples thank me. That's something.

In other news, men are icky. Two more weeks of construction and really the only major unpleasantness has been the state of my bathroom. Every day after the guys leave I scrub the whole room down - the bath mat is covered with dirty boot prints, the towels are filthy from men wiping their dirty hands, the sink is covered in muddy dried drops, and of course the toilet seat is up and there's dried pee and worse all over it. There are dirty hand prints all over the door jamb and someone has the weird habit of taking the toilet paper off the roll and leaving it on the back of the toilet. It's a nightmare. I wish I could ask them to please not use my bathroom - but do I really want to say that and then spend the next two weeks with pissed-off workers alone in my house, with all my stuff, when I'm not there? Not really. So I just grit my teeth and put up with the daily trashing of my otherwise lovely white bathroom. Two more weeks, two more weeks...

I asked the main contractor to have a look at my broken sewer pipe in the hopes that he can work up an estimate for me. He said there's a lake of spilled sewage under the house. I'm so glad I didn't put this off any longer - he'll start work on it as soon as the attic is done. It's going to be very expensive but it has to happen - it's a major health hazard. And then I'll probably never have to deal with sewer line issues again! So I'll just have to go into debt for a while.

B ate nothing but a squeezy bag of food at the Baby Kennel today - woo hoo! So I won't have to pump as much anymore. This makes me so happy.

Here's some pics of the attic space at this point - the skylight is in, framing is done, and half of the insulation. I am discovering the space is a lot smaller than I'd been picturing (the hole for the stairs takes up about half the room) and a lot more difficult to access. I don't see many other mothers being ok navigating that ladder with their baby in their arms (I'll have to put B in a carrier just to get us up there safely) and I don't see easily porting boxes up and down, either, so my fantasies of play dates and tons of storage may have been a bit premature. I may have to replace that ladder at some point with something more substantial. But we did come up with the idea of putting a door over the hole to make it baby-safe. Now it's just getting up there safely, ugh!









4 comments:

  1. Nice, big skylight! That's a shame about the workmen and your bathroom -- I've had a several different workers in my house (all for the same contractor), I don't think they've once used the bathroom. I'm out in the country, though, and I suspect they go off into the woods to pee! I feel like that's very poor form for them to be making a mess of your house -- unprofessional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skylight and windows, really opens the space up.

    Hope you get the sleep/feeding thing figured out soon. It is tough to function on so little sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might not be huge but it looks like it will be a great little space to play rather than the main area of the house. I can imagine napping on the floor under the sky light in a nice sunny day.

    ReplyDelete