Monday, December 17, 2012

The password is "aaaah"

Not a bad "aaaaah", a happy baby "aaaah". This is Bumpus' favorite thing to do, say "aaaah" while flapping his arms as if clapping. He also does a lot of "mamamama" sounds, but I don't think any of it is intentional, as in, connected to me. Which sort of makes me wonder - if your baby makes sounds that kind of sound like words all the time, at what point do you consider it "his first word"? I mean, when do you make that call?

I went to my meet up group today, which met at one of the ladies' houses. This gal has three kids and is thinking about a fourth. God bless her. Lots of discussion about second babies, since the rest of us are just on our first. When I told the host "I'm too old," she very flatteringly said she thought I was in my early thirties. I should show her some of the low angle self portraits I've taken on my IPhone, I look like a haggard old lady, ha ha! Anyway I will admit I feel a little left out when surrounded by people who are building their families. But does this make me want to endure fertility treatment, pregnancy, and birth again? Uh, nope.

She had a wonderful open space where all the babies could squirm around and play with toys, which really really made me want to get that attic space going, and soon. I think it's kind of essential, actually. I now understand kids need to have a safe space to strew their toys around and be free. This will either be your living room or some other space. I'd rather it be some other space! I will call the contractor tomorrow and give him a nudge for that estimate.

Despite the safe space Bumpus managed to pull this lady's dining room chair down on him, pinning him to the ground. He's never had a fall like that, and it sucked. I comforted him and he fell deep asleep right away, which caused me to check his pulse several times while sitting at red lights on the way home. I've heard about head injuries and sleep and, well, I'm just a little extra paranoid right now.

Speaking of tumbles, a woman full-on collapsed on the floor in the middle of the meetup today. She lay there for a few seconds before I called out, "hey, she's not ok!" She had complained of feeling dizzy, and had partaken of a very strong alcoholic egg nog that was being passed around. It was one of those weird situations where after recovering the woman went to drive herself and her baby home, and we all kind of looked at each other like, "should we intervene here? Is she ok?" And we all did nothing. Let's hope she made it home...!

In other news, I have been kicking ass in the feeding department. Somehow I've just gotten into this rhythm of feeding The B after my breakfast - I think his watching me eat gets him excited to start, so I feed him some of those little baby puffs and then 1/3 to 1/2 of one of those squeezy food bags, which he loves. He was more than ready, I was just being lame. Whenever I eat a banana he grabs it and shoves it in his face. Oh, he's ready all right!

No comments:

Post a Comment