Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pussing out

Today I wrapped B's presents while he hung out in the jumper nearby, oblivious to the fun times ahead. I don't know why it's so funny to me that I'm buying presents for a little baby for him to "unwrap" after he's already seen them, but this just cracks me up. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the wrapping to make sure he doesn't choke on any of it!

I paid my third visit to Bed Rest Friend in the hospital today, brought her some festive Christmas slippers. It appears despite the dire predictions of being in the hospital until March, it appears they are now going to release her next week...! Personally as much as I'd be happy if it were me, I also would be a little pissed that I had made all these arrangements for an extended stay, only to be told it was all just a precaution. But now she has the challenge of being home where she can't be looked after and waited on all day. I would find that a little daunting. Still, at least now I can bring over movies and I don't have to worry about my meter running out when I visit anymore.

I am pussing out on two situations in my life right now. One is confronting the friend who showed up on my doorstep; I'm just sitting here with my thumb up my ass waiting for her to do something when really I should pro-actively send her a "Dear John" email. The other is I decided to challenge Kaiser about all my hospital fees; don't know if I mentioned it here but one of my mommy group mommies mentioned she'd had her son at Kaiser Sunset as well, had also spiked a fever during labor, and the boy was kept in the NICU just like Bumpus. And she was charged separate charges as I was, but fought it, having believed that he was covered for the first 30 days before he could incur his own charges. She said it took seven months and everyone she spoke to denied her until the end, but she finally got her money back. So naturally I felt the need to file a grievance, too, and the woman on the phone told me she'd dealt with this situation many times and said that I was wrong, that I was charged correctly. But I submitted it anyway, and much to my surprise got a call the very next day, then got a letter today, wanting more information. And it's been two days and I have not called this person back, because I know they're just going to tell me I have no case, and then I have to make the decision to either get angry and demanding or crawl away with my tail between my legs, knowing I could potentially get something like $5000 back but I was too chicken to stand up for myself. I hate, hate, hate this shit. The lady in my group had an insurance broker that handled this stuff for her - I would kill for an advocate in this situation. I know I have to call back tomorrow or kiss this whole thing goodbye - but honestly I wish I had never had this conversation-! Knowing I was probably totally taken advantage of, and probably can do nothing about it, kills me inside.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that would kill me too! Hope you get up the gumption to fight it tho as $5k is $5k & if you get that back it'd be sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of my second financial dispute with the adoption agency. It's an icky feeling considering they helped me become a mom, but I'm in no position to throw away $1,200 just because I don't feel like standing up for myself.

    ReplyDelete