Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Mini trains

Today I met with my mommy group at one of the three (?) little mini trains that run in Griffith Park. As of next month I will have lived in LA for twenty years and I had no idea any of them existed. As a friend commented a few weeks ago, you really do get to see your city in a whole new light when you have a kid. I'm sure this would be the case wherever I lived. It's kind of neat.

Lately I've been feeling like my heart will burst with joy. And then I'm afraid to say that because it means something really bad has to happen because I got too cocky. But ok. As one of the Formerly Miserable I think I can stick my neck out there and say yes, this is a really good time for me.

Not so for my half-half sister who today threatened suicide over some very expensive car repairs. There is talk of an intervention (about her drinking, not her misery). It does make me think of the old Scottish saying, "they speak of my drinking, but not of my thirst." We all feel like something has to happen to stop her downward spiral, though. If it takes all of us coming together to tell her she needs help, then that's what it takes.

Today one of the new visitors to the group mentioned she'd tried some other groups but felt they were too judgy, telling her she was wrong to formula feed, etc. I still think it sucks that mothers are so hard on each other. I don't know why we're like that, but it's not a good trait, for sure.

One of the moms who seems to be having kind of a hormonal "something bad is going to happen to the baby" thing was talking about how worried she was about SIDS, and I mentioned how co-sleeping really helps me with those fears since he's always right there next to me. She said she can't co-sleep because her husband's snoring wakes the baby. Reason #5,486 why being a single parent is awesome.

I did put my hand on Bumpus' chest last night to make sure he was still breathing, though, I won't lie.







4 comments:

  1. One tired out little guy in that last pic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, his face is so sweet and innocent in that last one! and look how he's a redhead!

    i know what you mean about bursting with happiness. isn't motherhood, and also not having to strive but just BE, amazing???

    good on you for recognizing and relishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the cosleeping. It has allowed me better rest than other options. & it goes along with me waiting for the bottom to fall out on all this happiness. I keep thinking things have been too good for too long and am terrified something will happen to E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your half-sister. I hope she can find some peace and happiness soon!

    I LOVE the photo of Bumpus asleep in front of the Christmas tree! It is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete