Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Doing Christmas

Today I dedicated the entire day to Christmas decorating. I have decided that outdoor lighting is going to have to be a work in progress because it is SO expensive. I'm just going to have to build on it each year. I spent probably in the neighborhood of $200 on outdoor lighting and only have one bush lit, the top of the garage, and one string of lights along the porch. That's it! Made a lot of mistakes along the way but learned a few things, too:

Don't waste your money on solar lights. I thought I'd be all slick and save on energy bills, not have to turn them on/off or run wires, etc. But honestly, I put them up and they are so dim they look like absolutely nothing. I ended up going back to the store to buy electric lights and extension cords anyway. If I could do it all over again I'd spend the money on icicle lights and more net lights for the bushes. The one I bought looks amazing but needs about five friends for the full effect. Now if the local gangbangers can avoid stealing the lights off the garage, I think I'm set for this year!

I bought a tree, hauled it up three flights of stairs, and set it up. Having a good, stable tree stand made a huge difference. In going through all my Christmas stuff I realized what crap it all is - cheap junk I bought for a swing dance ten years ago, faded, cracked ornaments with no sentimental value, cheesy garlands. I really want nice stuff, but nice stuff costs. For now I'll make do with the crap just because it's there; but I am throwing it all out once Christmas is over.

Having a kid has really made me feel how important holidays are, and how now is the time to clean, organize, and take better care of my holiday stuff. Also the time to focus on making new memories - I'm going to make a special ornament every year from now on, and I will also get rid of anything that doesn't have family/sentimental value. I'm on Pinterest, dammit! I know how to make cinnamon ornaments and children's hand molds!

Today as I was climbing my house like a monkey I was reminded how utterly impossible all of this was last year - my whole body hurts from crawling and climbing and clinging to rooftops by my fingernails. I can see why Christmas lighting is typically the man's domain! And I have to say I kind of got into it! If I had more money I'd be right back at Home Depot tomorrow building a very organized, color-coordinated light show that I can control with a hand-held remote. Next year, next year.

It charms me to think that the people riding the electric train that passes in front of my house will hopefully be cheered by the sight of my cozy, festive little bungalow. They'll probably guess there's a lot of love in that house, and they'll be right!



1 comment:

  1. What do you do with the little one while you're climbing on the roof?! Sounds like it looks nice, even if not all you want it to be... next year! :)

    ReplyDelete