Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Separation Anxiety

Not sure if we've hit this milestone or if we're both just discombobulated from the trip, but Bumpus has been super clingy/needy/whiny/cry-y the last two days. It's like having a newborn all over again - only one that weighs 20 pounds and can pull my hair out, put bruises all over my arms and legs from kicking, and never sit still for a dressing or diaper change. Agh!

Normally we have a pleasant, quiet home with only the sounds of toys and B chattering to himself. This week it's been blood-curdling screams every time I even make a motion to get up and leave the room, even if I don't actually leave the room. Almost non-stop crying, even when I'm right there. I would question if he's sick or in pain except for the fact that he is immediately happy the minute I pick him up. If this goes on much longer I may just revert to newborn tactics and strap him to me in a carrier all day. He's obviously going through something, I just don't know what, or how long it'll last. But boy do I wish I had my jolly little guy back!

For me, I am somewhat exhausted and fed up, but I think I'm putting a good face on. The band recently got an offer to play a weekend event in Canada in May, and as always I have mixed feelings - it's a great opportunity for us, and personally I'd love to do it. But what about the kid? Do I take him? Who watches him when I sing? Do I leave him behind? Will he be weaned by then? Would anyone be willing to watch him for a whole weekend, and if so, at what cost? Is fifteen months too young to be left behind (I'm thinking probably yes)? I can sub out and get another singer of course. But I do really hate having to make these decisions. So glad he'll only be a little baby once! Someday soon I'll never have to ask myself these questions ever again. That's very freeing.

In other news, I noticed I lost a follower in the last couple of days. It's always kind of an odd thing - I try to tell myself it probably has nothing to do with me; someone was maybe cleaning out old blogs off their list, or just isn't interested in the topic anymore, or canceled their account, any number of things. But then the sensitive side wonders if I said something that offended someone, or if I got boring or monotonous, or since I had the baby the drama is over so I'm no longer interesting. In short, is it something I said? Makes me wonder.

For now I am very busily booking my schedule for the holiday season, responding YES to every invite I get, because I want to get out and enjoy myself as much as possible. Most of these events are Bumpus-friendly so I'll be taking him, but for example this Saturday I'm seeing a movie, so it's to the Baby Kennel we go. Can't wait, personally - I desperately need a break-!







6 comments:

  1. It's not you, it's them.

    And having just traveled with a fifteen month old on a short flight from NYC to Boston, may I just say... it sucked. She was so mad to not be allowed to walk around on the plane. It would've been easier if she had her own seat (with a car seat). But anyway, after that, I'm not planning to travel again for quite a while. FWIW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felix got like that after our first trip. He was back to normal within a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously, there's a lot of reasons to no longer follow a blog. It's probably nothing you did. I really enjoy reading your posts, and I have gotten a lot from them. It's their loss, really....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it wasn't you. I can't think of anything you've said that I've even thought twice about in terms of being offending at all. I have to fly with my baby in May, and she'll be ten months old. I'm already dreading it! It'll be from Boston to Nebraska, so... long trip. I'm not sure what to tell you about the gig, but I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll end up working out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just back from our 1st trip & catching up on blogs...thought I'd mention that if your Canadian gig happens to be in the Toronto area maybe I could help you out with B? The offer is there if you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the offer; I believe it's in Montreal otherwise I'd take you up in it on a heartbeat! Hope you had a great trip!

      Delete