Saturday, November 10, 2012

Friends. How many of us have them?

Some of you urban types may recognize the title of this post. I have been in a nostalgia haze since watching a 1982 documentary called Style Wars yesterday about warring subway graffiti artists in NY in the early eighties. I love watching any movie about, or that takes place in NY in the 70s or 80s, partially because it's my childhood, and partially because it confirms my memory of how NY was such a Wild West back then. Honestly I don't know how I survived it, especially considering how us kids just wandered the streets at all hours unsupervised back then. But I digress -

I wanted to write about a couple of friends. One is my friend who inadvertently insulted me a couple of months ago in telling her son in front of me that my son's dad had abandoned us. I sent her an email demanding an apology, and she apologized profusely. A few days later she left me a message wanting to get together...and I just didn't feel like it, and put off calling her, finally sending her a weak text a few days later saying I'd been really busy but could get together the next week. Then a bunch of time passed, and I wondered if our friendship hadn't met its end. And I was ok with that, because I felt awkward about everything that'd happened and didn't feel a compelling need to spend time with her. Then last week she left me two messages. I have not listened to them; they are still on my phone, mocking me. And in our relationship I never left her hanging or didn't call back. So I'm sure she knows something's up, and I know something's up. And I am really torn about calling her back. I just don't know that I want to keep this friend, and that's a tough call to make, especially after nearly twenty years of friendship. One big reason not to see her now is because I can no longer talk politics with her - and you know that's what's going to happen, with a major election behind us. And unfortunately she's one of these paranoid verging on Tea Party types, convinced that we're heading into the End Times. I know, I know, this should be reason enough to cut her off. For me it's a huge reason, believe me. But figuring out what to "do with" her is causing me a lot of stress, because I know there's a really good, caring person in there. Agh!

The other isn't so much an issue but an observation. I have an older, childless friend who got a dog right after I had the baby, and it was cruelly pointed out to her by some guy that this was her version of having a baby. I know this really stung her, and so now every time we get together with my walking friend or just us, she has to bring it up, as in from last week, "here I am with my younger friends and their babies, and it's just me and my dog, wah-wah!" Oh, it breaks my heart. Because that used to be me, and could very easily have continued to be me. I was always the one left out of the life experiences that everyone else was having, and it sucked. My heart bleeds for her, it really does.

But in happier news, I've found I really get a kick out of reading my fellow bloggers' descriptions of their babies and what they're doing now. So for (hopefully) someone's entertainment and also for my own record (I will make a baby book, dammit!), here is a little snapshot of Bumpus Today:

He has started swinging his arms in such a way to clap his hands. I don't think he knows he's clapping his hands yet, but it sure is cute. He especially does this when I sing him the Batman theme song. I think he likes the "da na na na na na na" part.

I love when he yells at his toys. I know this is his rudimentary way of playing, and it's adorable.

I love when he looks around and snacks his lips - it's like he's saying, "what trouble can I get into...?"

He has started really noticing when I leave the room, and breaks into a huge smile when I come back. I make sure to return this big smile every time. I once heard Oprah say something about "does your face light up when your child walks into the room?" And that really stuck with me.

I love how when I pick him up and hoist him over my head his legs kick straight out like he's flying.

I squeeze him tightly, rock him from side to side, and make grunting noises. I call it Bear Hugs. He always giggles when I do this.

I love how when he spots something he's interested in, like mommy's toys (my phone, the remote), he starts breathing heavy and his upper lip gets all pointy like a little beak. So cute!

There's a million more of these; I think I'll just start compiling lists. These are definitely the kind of things I'll want to remember (and embarrass him in front of dates with) ;)

3 comments:

  1. He is a complete doll!!!! I know what you mean about trying to figure where friends fit into our lives as we move from one phase to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's so sweet and little amongst all the pillows and blankets! is that your bed or his crib?

    FWIW, I think i would listen to the voicemails and bite the bullet, if you know what you want to do, because having them hanging over you sounds anxiety provoking.

    but you also could have an open ended sort of break up, "hey, sorry i've been out of touch. even though i so appreciated your apology, i'm finding that i just can't get past that comment about my baby's father abandoning us. i'm finding that i need a break from our relationship. i'll be in touch when i feel ready to move forward with you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually my couch, on a rare moment when I get him to nap while in the living room. I build a little fort so he doesn't roll off!

      Delete