Thursday, November 15, 2012

First Christmas plans

Yesterday I went to Ikea "just to look". $115 and two giant bags later, I had bought 20 jars for "gift in a jar" Christmas gift ideas, a spring form pan, a laundry basket, candles, soft toys for Bumpus, and several other things. Buying the toys for B gave me kind of a funny thought. For this first Christmas, when I'll be home alone and Bumpus won't really understand the concept, how do I handle the whole "gift" thing?

I figured I'd buy him presents, of course, and I'm sure the relatives and some friends will send things. But it's kind of funny to think of Bumpus seeing me buy the gifts, watch me wrap them, and then have him open them. Not that he'll grasp any of this at nine months, but it kind of cracks me up.

Then I started thinking about future Christmases when he does grasp the concept - and I've decided I am "doing" Santa (that sounds wrong). Then I started thinking about how the Santa presents should have special wrapping paper, different from the Mommy gifts. And then I started thinking, does Santa bring mommy gifts, too? Should I buy myself something and wrap it just for fun?

So many new things to think about!!! I've been on such a Christmas frenzy lately, and it's all kind of funny since Bumpus won't understand any of it! He will, however, see pictures of his first Christmas one day, and he'll want to know about it.

Today I hit up the dollar stores for cheap decor. Once upon a time I got my pregnancy tests there. My how times have changed!

6 comments:

  1. Definitely buy presents for yourself from Santa. And also one from Bumpus!!

    I did the different paper last year when Elsie was only 6 months old but it was more for my nephews then her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what an adorable change! I completely agree about the presents, etc all being worth it if only for looking back at pictures one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha!!! what an adorable photo! the angle looks like it's a self portrait... that would be an impressive accomplishment at (?9 months??? really??? already???)!!!

    love the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to catch up on your blog--sorry!
    Our gifts from Santa were never wrapped, all set up in our "area" around our stocking, with more gifts inside our stocking. I'm thinking of doing four gifts from Santa-one to read, one to share, one need and one want. If I still have the job I have and no one wants to take the whole xmas day shift, I'll have to split the morning and I'll be able to handle the morning better if I knew they were looking a few gifts from Santa w/grandma and grandpa. Then when i get home they can open all of mommy's gifts ;) We'll see (you know when an actual child appears :) )
    And yes, Mommy should get a gift from Santa too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just today I realized I'm now Santa. :) our Santa gifts were never wrapped either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never occured to me before reading cmgr's comment but we all are Santa now, aren't we!! That is cool. I feel more important all of a sudden!

    I am really looking forward to this Christmas, even more so than last year since Elena will have more awareness. But I still went all out last year for the reason you stated, she will see pictures & want to hear about it.

    & definitely buy some things for your self from Santa & Bumpus!! if for no other reason than to give yourself a well deserved treat!!

    ReplyDelete