Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Bickersons

So today I went to visit my former nemesis at her fabulous home for a home-cooked brunch. I had protested that I'd been spending way too much money lately so she offered to cook which I thought was very nice.

Umm...didn't turn out so nice. She and Mr. Perfect have, after a year and a half of marriage, turned into The Bickersons. She always bossed him around a bit, but now - good Lord. I couldn't even get a word in edgewise because they were so busy arguing over every stupid detail. Every time I tried to deflect and start a new subject they'd start in on the same thing - whether or not to let the dogs out, how to make the pancakes. It was so uncomfortable!

And not to be too mean but the food was a bit of a disaster. And I love me some brunch, and I came hungry. So I don't mind admitting I was bitterly disappointed when I discovered all that was on offer was mealy undercooked pancakes that looked like a five-year-old made them, and white bread toast with fake butter. Argh!

At some point the husband just disappeared and I never even got to say goodbye to him.

Why are other people so weird?!

Once again I felt like I was positively fleeing to my own house, where things are as they should be. I had a lovely afternoon planting my herb garden and tidying up, sorting Bumpus' too small clothes to give away, cooking and cleaning. Honestly, I've never been more grateful that I'm not in some craptastic relationship!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. My friend R and I always agree that 'other people are the worst'. But then, I'm super introverted (not shy, though), and I always prefer fleeing to my own house, back where things are 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancakes and white bread?! That's sad and funny. How hard is it to fry some eggs and put out a carton of OJ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! I always assume, for some reason, that if someone is married, they must be cooler than me. And then I hang out with the pair and think UGH! If this is winning the lottery, I will stay poor!

    Little guy is looking BIG!!!

    ReplyDelete