Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Plastic Crap

Today I am going to visit a cheap daycare. I kind of don't want to even keep the appointment - between you and me, I have pretty much decided not to seek out part time daycare because I simply can't afford it. But I'll go to this place today largely because I'm curious and partially to get out of the house!

Yesterday I saw my walking friend who has a baby and a seven year old, and she had lots of great ideas as to free stuff to entertain and socialize the boy. So maybe it is just a question of getting us into various play groups and things rather than paying for child care. Again, it's not so much that I need time away from B as it is I don't want him to be bored and unstimulated at home.

So no matter how good I think I am at planning my social calendar I am going to have to ramp things up - WAY up. I figure I'll need a morning and an evening activity just about every day to keep me sane. So I joined a bunch of meetups but still need to join more, and will start taking advantage of some of the free activities my friend mentioned.

I so get it now. Kids need tons of activities. And tons of toys. The louder, brighter, and more hideous, the better. They need to just be thrown in a pit with other kids and tons of plastic crap. This is what they want. Well, this is what boys want, anyway. Sigh.

My octagon gate thing arrived today, so I can turn one room into a playroom for The Bumpus where I don't have to worry about him getting hurt. Friday I pick up a little baby holder with wheels thing he can truck around in. Between those things, the bouncer and the playpen, we should be covered as far as baby restraints around the house. Starting to feel less out of control there.

Yesterday we walked with an older friend who always mentions how she "just never had the guts" to have a baby on her own but wishes she had - then last night I got together with my old writing group, and one of the women there told me she tried the whole artificial insemination thing many years ago when she was 40 and just couldn't get pregnant due to fibroids and scar tissue on her ovaries. It's amazing the stories that come out when you bring your baby around!

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine in the LA area says to check out Strollerstrides. I'm always bummed that all the fun kiddo activities happen during the day while I'm at work! I envy your open days. :)

    ReplyDelete