Monday, October 8, 2012

My favorite baby gear, 0-6 months

Hey all - since I've been actively clearing out my nursery I've been keeping a mental note of what baby shower items actually ended up being useful and which did not (so far). I thought I'd pass this info on for anyone who's as overwhelmed as I was in picking out gear, and wants to keep things simple.

Keep in mind these choices are very subjective based on the mom, the baby, what kind of climate you live in, if you breastfeed, if you co-sleep, what kind of diapers you use, etc. So these items assume you're an exclusive breastfeeder, have a warm climate, co-sleep, use disposable diapers, and don't have a lot of help around the house.

Feeding stuff:

If you're a breastfeeder, you'll need a pump. But you'll also need pump accessories. You'll need bottles or bags for freezing, and believe it or not, a pumping bra. When I was pregnant I saw a box with a picture of a woman wearing a pumping bra and blithely working on her laptop and I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen. Now six months out, let me tell you, pumping bras are AWESOME. Unless you want to spend twenty minutes shoving plastic cups on your boobs with both hands while hunched over awkwardly as your baby screams and rolls off the bed, GET ONE.

I have worn silicone nipple protectors under every bra every day and am convinced it's why I haven't had any nipple issues. They are deliciously cool and protect raw nipples from chafing against cloth.

Sleeping bras - awesome! Just yank one over a boob and bam, fed baby. Believe me, you're not going to want to deal with clips and attachments when half asleep, and going nude just means leaked milk all over the bed (and chafed nipples).

Some form of breastfeeding pillow. I used a borrowed Brest Friend, but the Boppy is good, too. I called it my Baby Tray because I could just pop the baby on it and he'd nurse and then sleep while I was delightfully hands-free to eat or work on the computer. Again, try awkwardly cradling your fifteen pound squirmy infant for some of these marathon hour+ nursing sessions and you'll see how useful a well crafted piece of foam with a removable cover can be! (Get additional covers).

Hooter Hiders or similar item for nursing in public (NIP). Unless you're a whip-it-out kind of gal, you'll want something to cover up with, and blankets tend to slide off. This item has a strap to put over your head. Hands down the item I have used the most from my shower.

Baby holding:

As a single mom, you'll need items to hold your baby. I found the best thing was to have a different one in every room - a swing, a bouncy seat, a pack 'n play (aka play pen), a crib. Make sure at least some of these items are easily moved from room to room. Most of these were best after about 2 mos.

Until and after 2 mos, carriers are essential. My favorite was the Becco because it felt the most sturdy and safe, and I didn't feel the need to always have another hand on him. Also the little hood was great sun protection (it's no fun having to bust out a hat and sunscreen every time you leave the house).

Carriers are magic baby calmers/sleepers, especially for newborns. I'd also recommend the Moby and ring slings. It allows you to get work done around the house on those first weeks when they may not like the swing or bouncy seat. And all carriers are great for outdoor activities - shopping, hiking, lunch with friends, etc.

When you're baby is ok with a stroller (mine wasn't until about three-four months), I'd recommend the car seat/stroller frame combo like the Gracco snap 'n go I have. I swore I'd never be one of those women lugging around a heavy bucket car seat - but here I am, lugging around a heavy bucket car seat. Why? Because babies fall asleep in the car, and believe it or not, you're not going to want to wake them up just to transport them into the house. Transferring a sleeping baby from the car to the store to home, where they continue to nap while you have lunch and do chores, is one of life's great joys. A removable bucket car seat makes this possible.

Clothes:

I probably used five onesies and two pairs of socks during my baby's first five months. This is largely because a) it was summer, and b) he's a boy, so super cute little coordinated outfits are not so easy to come by. But I found I really needed hardly anything to clothe the little guy. Hats were essential for sun protection, however.

Sleeping:

Swaddlers were super important for sleep. He's outgrown the need now, but little babies startle awake a lot. I just loved my swaddler that had a little zip up bag to put him in and then flaps to cross over his arms. Any other kind he just wiggled out of.

My guy doesn't really love pacifiers, but there were a few occasions when they really helped him sleep (and gave my poor nipples a rest). So I always try to have a couple on hand.

My free white noise app on my phone was HUGE in helping him sleep the first couple of months.

We haven't really used blankets yet due to the season, but oh boy are those basic little flannel receiving blankets useful! I have one on hand at all times for poop/pee/spit up emergencies and they've saved countless pants, rugs, and upholstered furniture. I go through 1-2 a day.

Diapering:

I use Seventh Generation disposable diapers and wipes bought on Diapers.com. We've never had the slightest issue with diaper rash or anything else except one time when I used some super perfumey wipes.

I have not yet used my changing table or pad, but sitters have. I just change him on my bed.

I have a cute 1940s diaper pail. I wouldn't so much recommend using an old one over today's technology, but I find it aesthetically pleasing.

Misc:

Gate check bag for your stroller and/or car seat if you plan on flying. When you see the condition of the bag after a flight you'll be glad all that didn't happen to your car seat.

Toys that interest him/her - always good to throw on a blanket on the floor for some good ol' fashioned tummy time. Great for distraction during meltdowns or when bored in a swing or play pen, too.

Baby sized nail clippers - you can never know how important it is to keep your baby's tiny little razor-like fingernails trimmed until you've been scratched by one, or watched your newborn claw his own face. I trim his every few days. It's not pleasant but absolutely necessary.

If you're like me and find yourself in loud situations with your baby, hearing protection is important. Since the baby headphones I got were far too large and tight for anyone under probably three or four years of age, I opted for a soft headband-type deal called Smuffs I found after some googling.

What's in my diaper bag?

Diapers (at least two)
Wipes
Mat for changing
Spare onesie
Pacifier
Receiving blanket
Hooter Hiders
Wet bag for used diapers and other messes
Hat
Sunscreen (baby friendly)
Toys, if going somewhere where he'll be bored and need to play
Smuffs

Ok, I think this covers it. Feel free to chime in with your own favorite items!






2 comments:

  1. Great post and nice tips. I will save the link so I can revisit in a couple of months when I am ready to begin purcahsing stuff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I'll second many of the items you listed.

    If you have a two-floor house and the nursery is upstairs but you spend most awake time downstairs, I'd suggest having a changing table somewhere downstairs. It's very annoying to keep having to go upstairs every time you need to change a diaper. Get a changing table with shelves or drawers underneath for storage of extra supplies, plus some clothes for when there's a blowout and you don't want to carry a naked baby through the house. :)

    Oh, and a plastic bathtub with a sling. Or, if you get one for free and the sling is missing (like I did for my parents' house), you can just fold up a big towel for the baby to sit on in the tub to make it soft and comfy.

    Aden and Anais muslin swaddling blankets are AWESOME. And very useful for lots of things besides swaddling.

    ReplyDelete