Monday, October 1, 2012

Mommy is not a toy

I'm going to stop assuming that my observations about and issues with having a six-month-old baby are in any way unique. Every time I think I'm going through something that couldn't possibly be normal, I check out my blog roll or log into my "birth groups" on WTE or Baby Center and behold, find tons of posts just on the topic I'm dealing with, written by equally befuddled mothers.

The new thing we all seem to be going through is suddenly becoming punching bags for our babies. He was always a master kicker, but now I'm amazed I don't have black eyes, missing teeth, a broken nose and bald patches, for how much this child physically abuses me. At long last I've had to give up wearing my beloved hoop earrings, not because they could injure me by being ripped out (they snap off quite easily), but because I'm tired of retrieving them off dirty floors and putting the dirt in my ear hole. Picking the baby up is a tremulous experience for me now - is he going to head butt me? Is he going to yank my hair out? Is he going to slap me in the eye so hard I'll see stars?

Honestly the daytime stuff isn't that much of a big deal...it's the nights that are starting to become a real problem, and I don't know what to do about it. In the past I would put him to bed with me, I'd turn out the light and nurse him and within five minutes he'd be fast asleep. Every time. Now for the last couple of weeks it takes hours for him to settle down - and I mean hours. And he doesn't just lie there telling himself stories like he used to - now he punches and kicks me, and rolls all over the bed quite violently. Forget nursing - he's not interested, or if he does nurse he just rolls over taking my nipple with him. Last night as he slapped my face for the millionth time as I struggled to hold him down in the dark for the second hour, I thought, "something's got to give - we can't go on like this!" Unfortunately when I put him in the crib he just cries to get out.

So here's the question - do I put him to bed in the crib earlier and just let him cry it out, as I stay up in another room? Do I wait for whatever demonic phase this is to pass? Will starting solids help him sleep? His waking patterns are more or less the same, it's the crazy pre-sleep energy that I don't know what to do with. And as he does all this he's absolutely thrilled with himself - big smile on his face, just happy as can be. Help!

2 comments:

  1. Ow! No advice but hoping this is just a phase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable pic!

    i remember Calliope going through that. it does pass.

    as for co-sleeping versus crib, well, it depends on what matters the most to you! i went for the crib so of course that's what i favor. but he's not used to it so it's not surprising that he's not a fan. he will get over it (Calliope ADORES her crib, and is very happy to play there even when not tired) but it may well involve some crying. but it's only worth doing if YOU are okay with not co-sleeping. if you really want to keep co-sleeping, you won't have the fire in you to make the (challenging) transition. either way is fine!

    i think he will settle down as far as abusing Mommy goes... but he will also get more mobile. other moms who co-sleep can weigh in on co-sleeping with very active babies.

    ReplyDelete