Thursday, October 25, 2012

Learning curve

Today I went to a Babywearing meet hosted by my Mom Guru friend and they showed me how to do this wrap - can't remember the name of it; double half calf and a sow cow? Something like that. Anyway I am completely in awe of these women who can take a simple length of cloth and turn it into all these amazing carrying positions. A hat, a brooch, a pterodactyl? I can't even remember how to use my Beco for back carrying!

Since I am thinking of getting B into some occasional daytime care and don't want to spend my entire life pumping (also I'm secretly terrified of his teeth coming in and my poor wasted nipples being chomped - ouch!) I have decided to at least make some effort at baby food making. I have two cookbooks and a steamer/purée machine; today I took them all out and started reading and mentally preparing. Why is it I'm so reluctant to do something for the first time? Is everyone like this, or is it just me?

I know when I've even done it once I'll feel better - it sounds very simple, just steam, purée, freeze. I can do that. But will I do it? More and more friends, especially those with multiple children, tell me they can't be buggered with all that, thus the Baby-Led Weaning; it's just simpler to have Baby eat what you eat. And since mostly what I eat is slop anyway (bean stews, lentil soup, etc) that won't be a problem in this house. But I have to say the whole non-breastfeeding food thing is daunting to me. The mess, the accoutrements, the time spent. You can see why I'm not exactly falling all over myself to get started, despite my earlier enthusiasm. Still, just like with the breastfeeding, I feel like I need to at least try. I cook all my own food from scratch anyway, what's a little carrot purée?

4 comments:

  1. I suppose the Wise Internet could tell me if I asked it, but I've always been baffled by how one gets the baby into a back-carry wrap like that (without an extra adult handy). I'm going to go ahead and imagine it involves baby acrobatics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of that sling fold too

    with regard to the weaning, I'd definitely recommend baby led, but it is a good idea to have a few things in the freezer too. Don't do too much at once though as it could end up going to waste as B's tastes change

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exactly like you in that I'm so reluctant to do something the 1st time. I made baby food for Elena & I was surprised by how easy it was. I am extremely lazy by nature so wasn't sure I'd keep it up but I'd just do a huge batch of a few different veggies once every two weeks or so. If you're already cooking from scratch, you're ahead of where I was when I started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cute photo!

    I tried BLW and Calliope was extremely not into it. If i was at home full time, i think i could've skipped it and just nursed her pretty much exclusively. seriously, BLW can be just letting your kid stick his fingers in your lentil stew and lick them off again. ridiculously easy.

    but apart from eating my food, Calliope wanted purees. and i read some quote like "i wish i had spent more time enjoying my baby and less time cleaning the blender." so calliope got some jars. not tons. but some. she also ate a LOT of plain yogurt, some of which i made myself.

    but since you're home, eh, try it, see if you like it. and if he will eat it.

    i microwave ridiculously small portions of frozen veg in the microwave for a few seconds -- peas, broccoli, green beans -- and then melt a little butter over them. voila! calliope loves it. super easy. and frozen veg are flash frozen at the peak of freshness. easy for me AND taste better than most fresh stuff unless it's the season AND just picked AND didn't sit in the fridge for a while... anyway, you could do this and whirl it in the mini food processor or even a hand cranked food mill. very easy.

    but don't sweat it, either way. my finding was that calliope started to really eat around a year. before then, eh. he will let you know when he's ready.

    ReplyDelete