Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A little help

It dawned on me yesterday that I just might want to get Bumpus into some kind of program. Like, a daycare/nursery school-type program. Not all day every day, just one or two days a week for a few hours. It sounds ridiculous coming from one who technically does not work and so does not need someone to take the baby during the day...but I think it's ok to admit that I don't know what I'm doing, I need help, and most importantly, I need a BREAK.

I've noticed how nice our days are when we have activities - like yesterday when we went to a mommy & me movie, then to swim class. But at night I find I just rotate him endlessly between his playpen with his toys, and his jumperoo. That's it, just back and forth all night. He seems ok with this - he can entertain himself for hours, which is great. And of course there's plenty of mom hugs/nursing/playing in there, too - but honestly, what exactly do you DO with a baby for twelve hours??? I'm kind of at a loss.

So my Baby Kennel (my name for it) offers daycare at $500/mo at his age for two days a week, up until the age of two, then the price drops considerably. I don't think this is anything I'd do right now - maybe not even until after the next event a year from now. But it's something to think about - that he can interact with other kids, play with new toys, have new experiences, AND I can have two whole days a week to myself, which would be so amazing.

I hadn't intended to have him in any kind of preschool until he was three or four just because of the cost - but I really think he could benefit from doing something else a couple of days a week. He does get bored now - he needs stimulation, he needs new things to do. And there's only so much I can provide for him, really. Days like this where I don't leave the house and we just sit around all day are brutal.

So, it's something to think about. Luckily I have the freedom to make this choice or not, any time. But boy does a five hour nap sound good right now!

4 comments:

  1. Even after being at work all day, I have to have an activity or two planned for us each day of the weekend, or I end up going crazy!

    I think a few days apart will probably be good for you both. They say that kids have to be older (over 2?) to interact and play together, but even now Finn loves playing with the little boy down the street and with his cousins. Kid interaction seems to be good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to look into a Mommy's Day Out or Mommy's Morning Out program. I'm not sure if they have them where you are, but they are very popular here (I had no idea until my pediatrician told me about them). They are usually hosted through a church (if you're okay with that) and are very much like a preschool. The ones around here run from about 9 am until noon or 1 pm (typically with an option for aftercare until about 2 pm). This is the program I have Annelise in and I love it. She goes 5 days a week, but there are is als a 2 day option. I really only needed 3 days (so I could sleep due to my schedule) but have found I love those two extra days. Its just enough time for me to run errands, schedule appointments, do a little cleaning or just something that I want to do. I thought I would feel guilty for putting her in a childcare program, but I don't. Since its run more like a preschool, it doesn't feel like daycare. I feel like she gets something out of it. They have music and art classes, story time, "field trips" to a neighboring farm to look at the animals, and the class sizes are very small (I think there are 6 total in her class). She generally seems to enjoy it. And getting up every morning to go helps give our a day a little structure and I find that the afternoons go much better on days that she goes. Sorry this is so long, but I thought if they have something like that there, it might be the perfect option for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it importnat to get Elena involved in some programs so she could interact with other kids but also to help my Mom by giving her places to go. I agree with Shannon that weekends are definitely easier when I have things planned for Elena & I...thank god she likes to shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another person in agreement... I think all day at home together isn't good for either of you, if it's happening on a regular basis. Time alone is WONDERFUL but even getting out of the house together is good. How about story time at the library? Who cares if he follows the books -- he will love watching the toddlers! Or baby music class, or "movement" class... I think you do swimming already, which is great. But I think a drop off program for a few hours might be wonderful. When I was home all summer with Calliope, I had a few hours a week (one day) per week and it was too much togetherness... and that was for a limited time (just the summer). So i think your idea is a great one!

    ReplyDelete