Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Starting 'em off early

I know those of you who work your tail off and then have just a few previous moments with your babies in the evenings don't want to hear this, but I am bored out of my skull. So, facing yet another day with nothing to do but pick up milk from the store, I decided to make an impromptu trip to the Getty museum today.

There is a lovely Klimt exhibit. The late 1800's - early 1900's is one of my favorite eras, and his art really encapsulates that time for me; the end of the Old Guard, the coming of war, the first whisperings of women's rights. It must have been a fascinating time.

The gardens here are amazing and peaceful. It sums up everything I love about LA - space, light, clean, open spaces.

There are lots of kids and babies here. I wonder if these parents have the same hopes and dreams for their kids that I do - that they're going to raise caring, socially conscious, cultured and open minded people. I'm sure most of them also want their kids to go to a good college and marry well. I have to say I don't care about those things so much - I just want Bumpus to be passionate about something and to do something for a living that he can enjoy. When I think of the years I wasted in crappy office jobs or otherwise being miserable and depressed, ugh! Life is so short. You'd better find a way to enjoy it before it ends, and it'll end in a snap.

It looks like I'm going to some kind of pumpkin festival next month. These are the things I fantasized about doing with my kid someday, and here we are. I'm so glad I know people who are interested in getting out and doing interesting things. I can only imagine the fun the Christmas season is going to be, oh boy!

So far I give having a baby about a ten. And this is coming from someone who is quite cynical, will tell it like it is, and doesn't even really like kids. The joy this little baby has brought into my life is really unlike anything I've ever experienced. I highly recommend it!

Here's a pic of us at the Getty. It kind of looks like the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem. I've been there, too.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish posts had a "LIKE" button becasue I really do this one...especially what you said about raising caring, socially conscious, cultured and open minded people. I totally agree! Glad you had such a great outing.

    ReplyDelete