Thursday, September 6, 2012

Reaching

During our trip east, Bumpus developed the skill of reaching for things. As with all new skills, he started out slowly, but now does it nearly all of the time (when he's interested, that is). This is what got us in trouble with the dog, since she had never experienced him show any interest in her before, and it freaked her out. I am starting work with a dog trainer next week, at great expense. But I feel like I did with the breastfeeding - I feel like I at least need to try. I need to see if our relationship can be fixed before giving in to just keeping her locked up in a room all day.

But back to reaching. So I love that this is an expression of his burgeoning personality - what he's really into, what he's not. I love that when I hold him on my lap facing me he immediately reaches out to touch my face. I love that when I present him with a toy, he grabs it. It's kind of like our first rudimentary conversation.

I am having to seek out new child care arrangements, as my two friends who had stepped in for me for the first few months of Bumpus' life now have very heavy work schedules. I'm extremely grateful for the time they were able to give me, however. I am trying out an acquaintance from the dance world who baby sits preemie twins with lots of special needs, but would like to have a couple more people on the call list. My walking buddy today says she may have someone for me, and I put in a call to my Mom Guru friend's favorite sitter (although I'm a little bugged that she hasn't returned my call yet). The drop-in place will cover some circumstances, but not all.

I suppose I'll continually be revisiting the question of "should I really try to keep up with all my activities, or just let them go?" It is an expensive proposition to get child care for things that are "just for fun" like seeing movies, book club, etc. But somehow the alternative - literally never interacting with another adult, and being trapped at home with a baby 24/7 for months on end, does not sound healthy for me, or even Bumpus. Last time I picked him up at the drop-in place, he was in a swing literally screaming with delight as one of the workers dangled a toy for him. He didn't even look at me when I picked him up, ha ha! So I think the drop-in place is a hit. Just wish they were open a hair later!

No comments:

Post a Comment