Friday, September 14, 2012

Heat wave

iPhone says it's 102 degrees today but I believe it's quite a bit hotter. Yesterday I decided to walk (that's a big deal in LA) down to try out a new dry cleaners, and nearly passed out on the way home. Some days are just too damned hot to try to do anything. Am I glad I'm not pregnant right now? Heck yes I am.

I had the dog trainer over last night. I know you dog people aren't going to want to hear this, but...I think it was kind of a waste of time. Or rather, if I had a younger dog, no baby, and was determined to have a perfectly disciplined dog that can be trusted to have the run of the house, it would be worthwhile. But I had already kind of figured out that at her age it's all about just avoiding situations that cause the behaviors. Keeping her in the office most of the time the last couple of weeks has meant no more accidents - and much nicer evenings as well, not having to listen to her incessant barking. The trainer, god bless him, reminded me a bit of the Lactation Consultant, in that they are experts in their fields, their lives revolve around their fields, and they kind of expect yours to, too. I remember when the LC said she wanted me to feed every two hours round the clock and pump in between. Inside I was like, "umm, no." The trainer wants me to do all kinds of exercises with her - such as throw treats around every time a situation that might make her bark presents itself so she'll associate the thing that makes her bark with good things (which means throwing treats on the floor all day long - not so great with a crawling baby); tether her to me at all times with a leash so she doesn't sneak off and pee; train her to touch her nose to my hand, etc. And in the end, none of this may result in anything. Personally, I don't have the energy for all this. I had mentioned my dog woes to some friends and I was surprised by how many people keep their dogs only in certain areas of the house. Not knowing anything I thought of this as "cruel"...but the fact is you have to do what keeps you sane. I am going to get her a crate (she loves crates) and start using the toddler gates in the kitchen again and just keep her in there, where there's no soft surfaces to be ruined. I think this is the best way for her to spend the remainder of her days, which could be extremely limited. Now how to tell the trainer I don't want to use him anymore...ugh.

My Hall of Fame dinner is tomorrow night. I have to leave Bumpus for seven hours at the drop in place, because it's such a long drive and a long night. Even at that I'm going to have to leave early. I know already that many of the people who bought tickets from me because they are nominated will probably not win, and most if not all of the winners will probably not be there. Good times.

The chimney sweep who came by today was surprised to see the baby (obviously I was still hiding it this time last year when he came) and speculated that maybe next year there'd be another one. People always call me "Mrs" now because of the baby and just assume I'm in a traditional marriage, which cracks me up considering my blatantly naked ring finger. But no, there will be no new baby this time next year. A friend also tortured by the idea of baby #2 said something very astute recently - she said she and I think of how important our siblings are to us and that's what we want for our kids...forgetting that one of the main reasons our siblings are so important is that we have crazy parents and had to band together for survival. Hopefully that won't be the case for our kids. I'll try to remember that the next time I feel guilty about not wanting to go for #2. I'm really happy and content with just The Bumpus for now.

3 comments:

  1. So true about people assuming that I'm married now that a baby is in the picture. I have had several students comment to me about a male teacher at my school that should "marry his girlfriend" (their baby girl was due yesterday) and yet it doesn't dawn on them that I'm still single!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great photo! it's just suffused with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had someone say, "Did your husband have to drive back and forth to work while you were in Oregon adopting your son?" I don't wear a ring and I was at a family event with no guy around...

    About the dog. My dog earned her way up to being left out of her kennel all day, so for about a year she had total freedom. Then she got into trouble a whole bunch of days in a row last winter, so now she's back in her kennel during the day. Not having to guard the whole house is much more relaxing for her. She's calm and happy when I get home from work. Don't feel bad at all about keeping your dog in one area. It's very common and the dogs usually prefer it.

    ReplyDelete