Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Happy half birthday

Yesterday was Bumpus' half birthday. Once again I think about our ancestors and what a moment this must have been for them and their children - the baby survived those scary early months, now he can get to work on the farm! There are a number of newborns in my circle these days, and when I see them they always look so tiny and vulnerable. It's almost impossible to remember Bumpus like that - he's so strong and such a bruiser now. Speaking of bruisers, my legs are covered with them from Bumpus' many kicking rampages - he loves to lie on his back and kick his legs, and his hard little heels often collide with my shin bones. But being his mother I of course just think this is adorable.

Yesterday we had his first swim lesson. It did not go well. Mainly because I was horribly unprepared, which became apparent as soon as I arrived at the facility. I had forgotten to bring a lock for the lockers. I had B in the carrier, which made me realize, how exactly am I going to get myself and a baby into swimsuits with him strapped to my chest...? Then I had to slather us both with sunscreen, and drag all our crap to the poolside so someone wouldn't steal it, and then the class had begun so I just had to jump in the water and get started while still frazzled and rushed. B had been napping in the car so was kind of out of it, and was not at all into being held apart from me - he wanted to be right up on my shoulder the whole time otherwise he'd cry. He just didn't feel secure when I held him away from me. He did at home in our pool; maybe the whole situation was just overwhelming to him (it certainly was for me!). Oh well, we go again tomorrow and this time I'll be prepared and relaxed. And have us arrive already in our swim suits and sunscreen, dammit.

Before the class I had lunch at a friend's house with my walking friend and her eight month old. We had a terrifying incident in which her baby had been sucking on a piece of watermelon and he choked on it. I'll never forget her holding him on her knee saying, "oh my God, he's choking, he's choking," and all of us just frozen in terror waiting to see what he'd do. I told her to thump his back, and eventually he brought up the chunk of watermelon on his own. But this really put the fear in me about baby-led weaning. Oh, I know you proponents of it will say, "well, that should never happen if you did it right because of X,Y,Z," but I've got to tell you - you give a baby regular adult food and odds are they're going to choke on it. I don't ever want to go through what my friend just went through yesterday, no sir.

On the dog front, I had bought her a little carrier around the time I had the trainer over, and it finally arrived a few days ago. Just for shits and giggles I put it together and put it in the office for her. And guess what? She immediately jumped in it and has hardly come out since. All this time was all she wanted just a safe place to hide? She hasn't made a peep since. Could this be a solution to our problems?

3 comments:

  1. I was terrified of Elena choking! & believe me, babies can choke on baby foods as easily as adult foods! You know those baby cookies that are just supposed to dissolve? I've known plenty of babies to have choking incidents with them...including Elena. I wanted to feed Elena purees until she was 12! & probably would have if it weren't for my Mom's persistance!

    Happy Half Birthday, Bumpus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an opinion about what method of feeding is best, really... we did some BLW and some purees. But I do think that at some point you have to move past purees, even if you start with them. So infant CPR knowledge is an important thing to have if you didn't already take it.

    Calliope started to choke on a piece of apple when she was a year old at a restaurant while my mom was holding her. I lunged out of my chair with my heart in my throat and had grabbed her and was about to flip her upside down on my arm to do CPR/Heimlich when she started to cough. The three nurses at the next table were starting to jump up to help as well.

    The only thing more scary than having to do CPR would have been not knowing what to do and watching my baby unable to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have these little mesh things with handles, so you can put chunks of food in them but the baby can't swallow pieces. Choking is pretty terrifying.

    ReplyDelete