Friday, August 10, 2012

Slow news week

This is a random post full of randomness. Mainly things I've been posting about on Facebook. You know things are slow around here when all I can blog about are regurgitated Facebook posts!

One thing that happened is one of the many tour groups I used to use for my international tours sent me an email about a brand new Peru tour that combines Machu Picchu with a trip to nearby Easter Island. I looked at the dates and prices and started calculating in my brain when this fall I could go - totally forgetting I have an INFANT. I had to rouse myself from my reverie. Oh right, I can't do things like that anymore...for, like, a LONG time. I felt myself folding up this dream into a little square, putting it in an envelope, and tucking it away on a shelf. See you next decade!

Yesterday I got a message from one of my hall of fame board members, telling me that our president has resigned, one month shy of our event, and "does not want to be contacted in any way". She (the messenger) and I have been trading calls the last couple of days. I have been dying to hear what the heck happened - although I think it has to do with all of us voting down his desire to be the event's MC. So he resigns and leaves us hanging. Ugh, men and their stupid egos! I think this is a good development, but it does leave our group in a bit of a quandary - nobody wants to be president, so what happens now? It is half on my mind to be president and whip this thing into shape, although any logical person would say, "f them, cut your losses, your son is your priority now." This is true, but - I just want to fix this thing! Just call me St Jude, the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.

One thought I keep having is "this is my son's childhood". Not that he'll remember these days, but this is it - his childhood, a time he'll look back on his whole life, has begun now. Weird, isn't it???

1 comment: