Thursday, August 23, 2012

New York, New York

Bumpus is a squirmy squirm squirm in bed next to me, so as I have become accustomed to, I will now bid farewell to the fantasy of a couple more hours' sleep and do something instead. Like blog.

Flight went ok. Parking in Lot C and getting the shuttle to the airport wasn't so bad - having a small suitcase and the stroller was totally manageable (although the shuttle driver was a TOTAL ASSHOLE, but I'm going to try to forget about that). Luckily I sat next to a nice dad on the plane who even kindly said "you're doing really well with him". When we had a repeat of the giant poo explosion followed by gallons of spit up all over my pants, socks, and shoes in the tiny airplane bathroom, I had to just laugh. What else can you do? As expected, though, because I had done it before, this time was less stressful.

Bumpus has delighted everyone he's met so far. Being my first time in NY with a baby, and my first time in the South Bronx with a baby where I stick out like a sore thumb anyway, it was interesting noting the shall we say "cultural differences" on the subway yesterday. Here I am this white hippie chick with my baby in a carrier, his little headphones on to protect his ears, talking to him about all the things we're looking at. And then there's the other mothers - all with strollers and bottles of formula, telling their kids to sit down and "shut the fuck up" while staring at their phones.

Speaking of staring at phones, this is a new phenomenon since I left here in the early 90s. I had to seriously watch my step yesterday as I nearly got run into by hoards of young people marching ahead while staring down at their phones. This is something you don't think about in a place like LA where nobody walks. But when you have a baby on you and people charge right into you, oblivious, it's a real problem.

My sister's awesome pre-war apartment is a real oasis in this hot, loud, crowded city. Today I go to meet a friend for lunch, but what I'm really looking forward to is getting back to the apartment to relax!

Off to DC tomorrow for Bumpus' first real train ride! I don't have any pics yet, so here's one from home:

No comments:

Post a Comment