Thursday, August 30, 2012

First play date

Today is Bumpus' first play date with a sweet baby named Eden who is a few months older and the child of one of my book club ladies. It will be interesting to see him interact with another baby - I'm sure he has at the drop in babysitting place, but I've never witnessed it. He can't sit up yet so his "play" I imagine will be pretty limited, but at least he grabs things and understands the concept of toys now, which is a very new thing.

I am awash with ideas for my event next year, based on things I saw at the event I just played. They had this awesome IPad-based registration system using the Square for credit card payments. They also didn't have all their merchandise displayed on a giant table but instead had mannequins with their t shirts which I assume you could get at the registration table. I love the idea of consolidating the merchandise like that; it could seriously cut down on the sheer amount of volunteers that I use every year. But will people be less likely to buy something if they have to ask for it? If it's not displayed in piles in front of them where they can rummage around and try things on? Probably. And hurting sales is the last thing I want to do. I would also have to have very trustworthy workers to use the Square device, since if it gets lost or stolen or the transactions somehow get screwed up, there goes my living for the year. This is why I currently have the customers fill out a form with all their credit card info that I then process when I get home. But by the time I get home cards have expired, been canceled, been maxed out, I can't read people's handwriting, etc. And people just hate writing out their information. There's got to be a better way.

Still no takers on the dog. I don't know why I naively thought it would be easy to re-home her. The rescue where I got her has not written back; maybe they're no longer operational. It has been four years, after all. I think the best tack to take is to leave it out there that I'm looking for someone to adopt her, but accept the fact that it may take a long time, if it ever happens. In the meantime I am trying to adjust myself to the idea of keeping her permanently, and making things as safe and manageable around here as possible. I do love the little stinker, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment