Sunday, July 1, 2012

Working mom

It's not often I feel like a working mom (because for all intents and purposes, I don't technically "work"), but I am definitely feeling it this weekend. Just the stress of having to leave your baby in someone else's care while you go and be professional, when you'd really feel so much better if you could just strap the baby to your body. Alas, this isn't always possible.

So last night I strapped the baby onto a random 16-year-old girl for four hours while I sang. It wasn't quite as seamless as the previous Saturday. When I checked on him at the second band break he was screaming his head off, so I awkwardly nursed him in my breastfeeding friendly vintage dress. On the third he was screaming again. The girl didn't seem phased by it, but it certainly didn't feel good for me. I had hoped he would just sleep, but no. Now I'm all worried about tonight...the dress I brought is not at all breastfeeding friendly, and it's a later night (goes until 2:00 AM). And we also have to discuss what I'm paying her. I hope it's not more than $60 because that's all I got.

Stuff like this is just a bit of a logistical nightmare. I can't bring a pump, and there's nowhere to store breast milk nor time to pump, so I have to make myself available for feeding, and my clothing doesn't really suit that purpose, and there's also no good place to do it nor time. And really, he should be fine not eating for four hours - he does it at home all the time. But I've come to realize there are more reasons than being hungry for wanting to nurse - needing to poop is one, and another is needing comfort. So it could have been any number of things last night.

Still and all, this is temporary - by the time the event rolls around he'll be a month older, and when the DC trip happens he'll be a month older still, and the next time the band travels (if we do at all) it probably won't be until next summer and I doubt I'll be breastfeeding then. So as stressful as this has been, it really is a one-time thing.

Went down to the beach yesterday. Boy how I miss the Atlantic Ocean! Sigh.


2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful attitude and are handling single motherhood really well. I enjoy reading yor blog. Your son is adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the beach looks wonderful!

    but no baby pic??? is that a first?

    ReplyDelete