Monday, May 7, 2012

Week six

The gig went well last night. As hoped, I squeezed into a vintage dress and everyone commented on how I did not look like I'd just had a baby. Freakin' sweet. I'll try to grab a picture off Facebook as soon as people start posting them.

My Mom Guru friend kindly offered to babysit, so I had no bad feelings about leaving him (although everyone asked if I was "freaking out"...um...no...does that make me a bad mother...?). I asked her to pop on a cloth diaper so I can get that whole thing started. I have to say, so far...not a fan. Within two hours the whole thing was soaked...and I mean soaked, with urine and poo. Now he could have just had a very enthusiastic potty during that time, and lord knows he's had poop blow outs with the disposables. But somehow the disposables catch the pee and hold it in one spot so you're not touching a sopping wet piece of cloth, and the disposables are nice and small and tidy. I don't know - the whole thing just totally grossed me out. Maybe I waited too long; maybe I need to keep trying. But right now I'm contemplating apologizing to the environment and sticking with the 'sposies.

My sister is coming to visit Thursday night. It will be great to help erase the memory of her last visit - my traumatic labor - and finally have a nice time where she can enjoy the baby and we can get out and see the city. There are so many fun things to do I'm having a hard time choosing. Sure am glad this time I have a healthy body back, though. I do tend to take for granted how nice it is to not be pregnant any more, that I can eat what I like and exert myself a bit. Going to mommy & me yoga tomorrow and I'm sure that's going to be great, I've missed yoga a lot.

I am contemplating shelling out for a whole house water filtration system. I have used faucet based filters for years, but lately I think my faucet is stripped or something, because for months every brand filter I buy doesn't really fit and eventually goes flying off and sprays water all over the kitchen. It's a huge pain in the ass, and the last few days after another incident of this I just took the damned thing off, which means I now have zero clean drinking water, which means I'm horribly dehydrated. So this has to be fixed, now. Again I have no money for this, but it's a valuable home improvement and will definitely make my life better - good soft water, and no more tiny trickle every time I'm trying to fill a pot to cook something. For now I may get a Brita jug just so I have something to drink. Unless I want a glass of brown water, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I gave cloth diapers a good try, 5 months worth. I didn't like how bulky they were & found the same thing you did with the amount of wetness compared to disposables. Funny story, when I first couple times I put Elena in the cloth, I forgot about the covers & couldn't figure out why EVERYTHING was soaked, what a sleep deprived dummy I was!!

    Love the photo, BTW & yeah for the great compliments!! Can't wait to see those photos!

    ReplyDelete