Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Procrastination


Right now I’m blogging from my computer for a change to procrastinate cleaning the house.  For the record I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen while the baby slept this morning (and by “morning” I mean 1 PM) but then he woke up, so now he’s in the carrier with the intent that I can do the second half, and my least favorite – dusting and vacuuming the floors.  Ugh. But my sister is coming tomorrow and I don’t want her to think I live in filth, so there you go.

The plumber came by and I think I will go with the reverse-osmosis sink system rather than the whole house water purifier. Apparently the whole house systems need a lot of maintenance and you need a sink purifier for drinking water anyway, plus the whole house system is a lot more expensive of course. Personally I hate those stupid little spigots at the side of the sink…but I’ve got to have clean water, and lord knows I’m not about to start buying bottled. So, a few hundred $$ and here we go.  Oh, and my pool needs an overhaul to the tune of a few hundred $$ as well (the filter isn’t working and the whole thing is green), so there goes the $1000 I would have spent on debt pay down for June. It’s always something, isn’t it?

I have some fun things planned for my sister’s visit, focusing on healthy outdoor activities. I figured for Mother’s Day we could do a picnic – this is infinitely more baby friendly than a crowded restaurant that would no doubt involve a long wait and/or reservations anyway. The idea of being able to nurse with impunity appeals to me – as long as I know I can nurse him I can take him anywhere, since that’s all he needs to be content. My nipples are killing me and my breasts are so sore it reminds me of early pregnancy. Still, it’s less hassle than formula feeding and of course better for both of us so I’m happy to do it. One thing I’ve been worried about lately though, and that’s been brought up on various chat boards, is the question of how, exactly, do you get to pump and save any milk when you’re full time breastfeeding? I mean, there’s almost never a moment where he’s not currently feeding, just fed, or needs to feed in a few minutes, or is otherwise occupied long enough for me to get a good pump in. When I pumped for the sitter the other day I only got about 2 oz after half an hour – good thing I had 2 more leftover from Monday or I would have been screwed. I had just fed him an hour or so before so it didn’t surprise me I had nothing left…but how am I going to handle this in the future when I need to leave him occasionally? I’ve been told to pump in the morning, so I guess I can try that – maybe with my sister here she can occupy him enough that I can pump a few times and at least get a reserve going for the freezer. But right now it seems kind of impossible to squeeze more out than he’s already using…which is a lot.

As promised here is the picture from my gig Sunday night.  It’s a bit blurry but you get the general idea.  I wore this dress with a fancy multi-colored pattern on the chest in case I started leaking!


1 comment:

  1. You look fabulous!!!

    I didn't start pumping for storage until Elena was about 3 months old...I was luck I guess in that Elena would only drain 1 breast at each feeding so I would pump the other & alternate thru out the day.

    ReplyDelete