Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day

Today is grey and miserable in LA - not a great way to start a lovely spring month, but considering how relentlessly hot and sunny it is here most of the time, I guess I shouldn't complain!

I have for the moment given up on having the baby out of the bed. I read many posts on this topic and started to feel like he's just too young to be away from me yet - he still needs the comfort of my warmth, my smell, etc. It started to feel kind if cruel to insist he sleep on his own at barely over a month old. I know, this doesn't sound like me, does it? But lately I've been feeling like I don't give him enough credit - I always say he doesn't know who I am, doesn't know anything yet...but even my French parenting book says babies are a lot more aware than we think. Just looking at his happy little face as he finishes eating and falls contentedly asleep against a soft boob - how could I deny him that? So I've removed some of the hazards from the bed and set it up more so that I can sleep and feed him comfortably, and not surprisingly we had a lovely night last night with just a couple of feeds and no crying at all. Not saying this will be the case tonight, but I'm content with our sleeping arrangement and he seems to be, too, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Took the baby to a restaurant last night and it was about as expected - had him in the carrier and had to walk outside and bounce him around a couple of times. So, not optimal. Definitely in the future having a sitter for adult dinners out will be the best option.

On the business front, I can't believe my event is merely three months away. Things start to ramp up in May...but the good news is, so does the money. I am putting off paying my massive credit card bill (hospital fees plus international flights for some event teachers) until the last second so I can pay it in full and not carry a balance. This is maniacally important to me, as is making the last payment on my business line of credit that just over a year ago was $17,000 and next month will be zero. I do believe this is the most amount of debt I have ever paid down in my life (I used to just roll debt into my mortgage). So I will definitely be celebrating when that last payment goes out. That will also free up $1000 a month - most of which will go to child care. But it's all good. At least I even have that to pay for child care, you know?

May means another month between me and my lousy birth experience. I know I shouldn't linger on it, but I do think about things like this - the farther March 2012 is from me, the better I feel. Even so I think about Bumpus growing up and it makes me profoundly sad. He'll never be a little squishy newborn again, which, although for sure a challenging time, is not without its charms. In a lot of ways it's easy - he's not mobile, doesn't require much, and his needs are simple, although somewhat endless. Well. That's why we blog and take lots of pictures and try to treasure the little moments.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on paying down the debt! I am in awe. I am paying mine down for have definitely not made that much of a difference. As for the sleeping, as long as you're comfortable with him in the bed, don't let anyone tell you what to do. The same goes the other way though. When you are ready for your bed back to yourself, don't let anyone guilt you then either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put so much pressure on myself & Elena to sleep seperately & when I finally decided to cosleep I just knew it was what was best for us...I now treasure the fact that we cosleep, I love the closeness we share, especially now since as of Wednesday Elena is completely weaned.

    Congrats on the debt pay down, that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete