Monday, April 16, 2012

Signs of life

I have been looking at my son every day to see signs of development or change - is he starting to recognize me? Does he crave my attention? Is he smiling, or is it gas? Does anything I do comfort him other than sticking a boob in his mouth?

I guess at three weeks the answer to these questions would be "kind of". He doesn't like being left alone for sure, and does calm eventually when I put him over my shoulder and bounce around. I notice if he's having a meltdown and he hears my voice he does seem to pay attention and relax a little. He likes when I play with his legs in a bicycle motion (could help with the gas).

He still isn't a fan of the bouncy chair or swing, which is a bummer. Last night I was all proud of myself for discovering the battery slot on the chair that allowed it to vibrate finally - but this morning apparently it made no difference. Sigh. I hope one or more of these devices become appealing to him soon, since putting him in the Beco carrier to get stuff done around the house is getting hard on my back.

I look at pictures of people's older babies and I can't wait until he's there - full of laughs and smiles and enjoying toys and books. I guess I should be glad though that his needs are so simple right now; I don't have to worry about teaching him anything or keeping him entertained. He just needs food, warmth, sleep, clean diapers. He's easily contained. I often wonder how the heck I'm going to take a shower or pop out to feed the chickens with a toddler running around. I guess that's when toddler gates and play pens come in handy (or doing everything when they sleep).

My sister and I realized yesterday that trying to Skype right now is pretty pointless since there is almost never a time when he's awake and content; so we've put Skype aside for now. Someday soon, though.

2 comments:

  1. The bicycle movement will definitely help with any gas. A Mom Friend of mine clued me into this when Elena was going thru her horrendous gas issues.

    Now that is an adorable family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember if I told you this already... but if you haven't figured it out already (I didn't), you can cross the straps of the Beco in back, so that the side straps snap in on the opposite sides (you have to lengthen the straps first). It took me a little while to figure it out but it is WAAAAAAY better for my back. huge win!

    he is such a cutie and you guys look great!

    the newborn period is tough, but it doesn't last forever. i think you focus on survival at this point and don't beat yourself up. i have heard that babies don't form habits until 3 months. my daughter slept in her swing (exclusively) for almost three months and i was SOOOOO worried about weaning her off it. and it took one day.

    so do what you need to do. including taking care of YOU sometimes.

    and yes, he's going to start smiling at you any day now, and before you know it, you will get a huge grin every time you enter the room, as if he had just won the lottery AGAIN, and it will only get better and better from there!

    ReplyDelete