Thursday, April 19, 2012

Outing attempt #2

Today went slightly better, only because the baby was well fed and sleepy. I went to my beloved farmer's market for the first time in nearly a year - I had stopped going during my morning sickness marathon, and just never took it back up again.

I had always fantasized about being there with a baby - practically everyone is; it's the aging hipster with kids meeting ground - and so it was quite a moment to finally actually do that. The weather was fabulous and I bought nice things to eat - goat cheese, rye bread, blueberries - and took the time to sit and enjoy the day with a lemonade before heading home. Next time I may even *gasp* attempt to take the train up there for fun. How weird is it that I suffered through New York's horrendous graffiti-covered subways in the 80s as a kid and my kid will ride a clean, safe train "for fun"? Still can't get over the fact that my son is a native Californian. That's still totally bizarre to me.

On the bad news front, discovered that despite the fact that I was told that his health insurance would run about $130 a month once I added him to my policy, a quick phone call to double check this today revealed that in fact it's going to cost me a whopping $330 a month for the next two years for his coverage, bringing the grand total of both of our policies to nearly $700. And after spending all day on the phone trying to get a better deal and discovering there is no better deal, decided to apply for Healthy Families, although I was already rejected by them because I was pregnant at the time (I was told to re-apply once he was born, although there's a problem with my being self-employed also which may make it impossible). I'm beyond pissed that once again I was given wrong information, and that it has to be so frickin' expensive. Yet another reason to not attempt to have two children! Will national health care just hurry up and get here please?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get out and about successfully and get some good eats!

    I have found private health insurance to be a nasty place to navigate. I hope that Healthy Families works out for you (that's what my twins will be on for the first year of their lives).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this outing went so much better & you enjoyed your day!

    ReplyDelete