Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hot mess

So today I made my first attempt at public breastfeeding. It was not pretty. But I guess it kind of never is, really.

My Mom Guru friend invited me to the Descanso Gardens. For the first time I packed up my diaper bag (until now I've just been shoving things in a ziplock bag into my purse) with everything I thought I could possibly need for a short jaunt, and set off for a pleasant outing.

First thing was he had a huge poop blow out in the car seat. I didn't bring anywhere near enough wipes or towels or blankets to clean the baby, the car seat, his clothes, my clothes, my hands, and everything else the wet, sticky poop got all over. Then I realized he was probably hungry, and since I had about 20 minutes before anyone was set to show up, I figured I'd try a quick feed. This involved putting on my Hooter Hiders, taking down my dress, tank top, and bra, attaching the nipple shield (all while he squirmed and fussed on the car seat and I tried to keep him from falling off and landing head first on the car floor). Finally attached, it was so unbelievably hot in the car in the direct sunlight that we were both dripping with sweat. A half hour later he wasn't anywhere near done and I was so hot I couldn't stand it one more minute, and the others were waiting at the entrance, so I stuffed him, naked and screaming, into the carrier, piled all the poop-soaked items into my bag, put up my bra, tank top, and dress, put away the nipple shield, and headed into the park.

We all said maybe five words to each other before it was time for us all to sit down and feed our babies..an hour later, still feeding, and an announcement sounded that the park was closing and everyone had to get out. So, I put away the nipple shield, put up my bra, tank top, and dress, put away the Hooter Hiders, shoved my still screaming baby into the carrier, and drove home. And what am I doing now? Nursing. Have been for the last hour. Nipples feel like they're going to fall off.

Mommy = 0
Baby = 1

We'll just have to try this whole park outing thing another day. Sigh.

2 comments: