Sunday, April 22, 2012

Four weeks

Bumpus is officially a month old today, but I will hold off on the 1 month photo until the 24th which is to me really a month as opposed to four weeks.

I took him to a dance tonight with mixed results. Rather than having him in the carrier, I kept him in the car seat, which he soon tired of. I nursed him a bit and did squeeze one dance in, and got to socialize, so I'm glad I went. However I'll have to figure out hearing protection for him - I got baby headphones for him, but on trying them out they are HUGE and tight as hell, definitely not suitable for a little newborn head. I will have to look into earplugs for babies, because he's going to be in a lot of loud environments.

Tomorrow I'm going to try another first, which is using a stroller. I want to do a little cheap clothes shopping (I'm particularly interested in cheap jersey breast feeding-friendly dresses for summer) and it's not practical to have him in the Beco for that. So I assembled the Graco stroller last night and will try it out tomorrow.

I also MUST start the cloth diapering. I don't have to stick with it, but much like the breast feeding, I feel I owe it to myself to at least try. It's just the fear of the unknown; the same reason I'm still using the nipple shield when I know I really need to wean him off of it. I just need to get the hang of the cloth; I know in the long run it'll be better (I love the idea of never running out!). Maybe I can make that my goal going into month #2.

I do feel more of a rapport with the baby these days - even though I don't get much back from him yet in the way of acknowledgement, I've decided to "act as if" - rub his belly, kiss his head and cheeks even though he doesn't seem to like it. I remember when things first started to click with the dog, and this feels a bit like that - I'm slowly learning his language and learning how to communicate with him. There is a code there; I'm just on the brink of cracking it.

2 comments:

  1. Finn wore that same shirt yesterday - in a bigger size. :)

    A mommy friend of mine said once about newbornss, "There's not much return on your investment." That's so true!

    Good luck shopping! You're braver than I was with taking him out. It took me forever to go out with the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you went to the dance & enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete