Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Full term!

So today I am officially considered "full term" even though I technically have three weeks to go and could even go as far as mid-April. At my NST today they said what I already knew - if I were to go into labor now they wouldn't try to stop it. So I can now remove the fear of premature birth off my list, much like making it to that all important first ultrasound removed the fear of "empty gestational sac" or "repeat chemical pregnancy" off my list. Check, and check!

Still, li'l RT shouldn't come now, not yet. I'm sure his lungs could use some more maturing, and momma doesn't know how to fold a cloth diaper yet. I also don't have a bag packed nor the car seat installed, although all of these things should be taken care of by the weekend.

The reality of how soon he'll be here is hitting me in small increments. Tonight I had my monthly writer's group, and they all remarked that the next time they see me I'll have a baby (for the record I'm skipping April with the group). I've seen many friends recently that I know I won't see again until after the baby. Yes, Virginia, it is just that close.

Today's NST took an hour and a half because they just weren't getting the info they needed - he was sleeping so wasn't moving much, and his heartbeat baseline couldn't be pinned down definitively. Is any of this worrisome? No, it's just sometimes babies don't "cooperate" the way we'd like. Every time I go in there and still have normal blood pressure and the same protein readings I consider a good thing; nothing appears to be worsening or actually wrong with either of us. I'm curious if they'll be able to help me predict labor at any point - my guess is probably not. But I might ask next week. I have been getting little fleeting pains across my uterus the last couple of days, but this could be stretching or gas. And I do have the Braxton Hicks quite a lot, but now that I know what they are I can honestly say I've had them for several weeks, so I don't think that means anything, either.

I so wish for a normal, peaceful delivery, but the more I hear the less this seems possible - a lot of the women on my March 2012 WTE board have had their babies, and even the ones that came on time were fraught with issues - inductions, pitocin, c-sections, problems up the wazoo. Sometimes it seems like too much to ask to just be able to go into labor naturally and a day or so later have a healthy baby. Sigh.

My marathon of activity is about over - two maternity photo shoots down (and a huge relief that's over - I was afraid I'd go into labor and miss out), only one band gig left next Weds, most obligations behind me. I really feel like I want to just be quiet and focus right now but that's been impossible lately; just too many things to get done before he's here.

Feeling very "full" and uncomfortable all of the time. There just is no good position - lying down, sitting, standing, everything feels lousy. How do people do this with twins or more...? I'm telling you, if I go for baby #2 and we see more than one follicle I'm out for that month. No way in hell am I taking the risk of twins, especially if I already have a kid. Hell to the no.

Still, despite all this pleasantly surprised at how well I feel this late in the game. I imagined it'd be far worse. I can still drive, haul garbage down the stairs, groceries up the stairs, etc. There are times I get very tired, and sleep is a bit of a torment, but for the most part I'm still able to do everything I need to do, which is great. Mind still clear, still able to function in my work.

So my (hopefully) cute maternity shots should be here soon. In the meantime here's a 37 week shot of me with my favorite "Monet" filter:

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I think you have identified an unfortunate issue with American maternity care. It's seen/treated as a medical event, rather than a natural occurrence. I wish you the best birth for you - one that results in a happy and healthy you and baby boy. It seems like in previous posts, you have done a good job of avoiding too many expectations of what it should be like. I envy that immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope you have an easy labour & delivery. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete