Saturday, March 10, 2012

Another day, another NST

Another lengthy NST today. Probably 45 minutes on the monitor and another 20 doing an involved ultrasound. Apparently baby boy just isn't creating the proper baseline heartbeat and/or the kind of movements they want in the amount of time they want. Nobody seems concerned about this, however, so I'm not concerned. Apparently this is normal; they just need to see what they need to see before they can give me a clean bill of health and send me on my way. This has happened three times in a row now so I'm taking it a lot more in stride than I was before. I mean, really, what else do I need to be doing right now? And as we get closer I know these visits are numbered. It also helps that nothing new wrong has cropped up - blood pressure still ok, protein + 1 as it's always been, no new symptoms, no weight gain, nobody even asks about the GD thing anymore (and that's good, because I haven't checked my blood sugar more than once or twice for weeks).

The weight gain has been interesting. I haven't gained a pound in a couple of weeks. Some people say weight gain slows or stops in the last month; some say it escalates. Lord knows I haven't exactly been eating light lately...but haven't been gorging, either (well, except that Lucky Charms Frenzy this week, but we won't talk about that...). Still I'm excited by the prospect of not gaining any more weight - right now I've gained about 28 pounds. Can I keep that going for 2+ more weeks...? I truly believe keeping my weight in check has kept me from being totally miserable right now - and no stretch marks, no varicose veins. So I have to grudgingly say thanks to the ob that told me to watch it with the weight gain way back when.

The NST nurse today (who won't stop asking me when I'm getting the flu shot by the way - ummm...never?) said I'm going to have a very calm baby. I find this interesting because one of the reasons I picked this donor was because he listed as one of his personality traits "very calm". Can we finally breed the anxiety and nervous energy out of this family? That would be fantastic.

3 comments:

  1. I hope I'm breeding the anxiety, nervous energy, and mental illness issues out of my family, so I hear you on that one! Glad to hear everything is going well with the NSTs and the nonexistent GD. :) I'm 19 weeks and have no weight gain so far, actually, I've lost a couple of pounds. I just don't seem to have the voracious appetite everyone always talks about. I know I'll gain weight eventually, and SHOULD gain weight, but I'm hoping the fact that I haven't gained any yet will mean I'll be able to keep it under control when it does start to creep up. Hang in there with the NSTs - keep up the good work! And enjoy that "calm baby" when he arrives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A calm baby would be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get a calm baby too...don't want to burst your bubble tho but Elena was always pretty mellow during u/s, NSTs & during labour & she's turned out to be, well, let's just say rambunctious & not just a little high strung, lol!

    ReplyDelete