Wednesday, March 14, 2012

38 weeks

Not much to report today other than another clean bill of health from the OB (midwife).  Very pleased there's been no escalations on my various "issues".  I feel a lot different than I did a couple of weeks ago about this stuff, only because a) nothing has gotten worse and no new scary things have cropped up, and b) I'm now used to the inconvenience of going to the hospital three times a week.  I think like most people I tend to freak out initially upon receiving bad news and then just get used to it.

They always tell me how good the fluid levels look so today I asked if this is directly a result of drinking lots of water, and they said that certainly helps but it's not the whole story - the fluids being good mainly means my kidneys and placenta are working properly, and his kidneys are working properly.  I think I was spooked by the whole protein in the urine thing because it indicated my kidneys were struggling, and whatever mysterious ailment my mother has been suffering from for decades is directly related to her kidneys, so that was always on my mind. So it's good to know neither of these things have become an issue.

Yesterday I finally used my Amazon credits to fill in some remaining items - extra diaper pail liner, nipple butter, and yes, a couple of things for mommy (make up, post-partum waist cincher).  The one thing I have almost nothing of and haven't committed to is bedding for the various cribs/sleeping devices; the idea of shelling out for several sheet sets/pads/etc when I don't know yet which of the three items I have for sleep are going to end up working is daunting to me.  I could use the co-sleeper, I could use the old school crib, or I could use the cool little travel bassinet. It may even be a combination of the three.  Right now the bassinet really appeals to me for its portability and simplicity; the co-sleeper seems like the best item but my bedroom is so small I don't know how I'm going to feel having to work around it all the time for getting in and out of bed, changing sheets on my bed, etc etc.  So I'm just going to play that one by ear.

Now I'm in that mode of thinking about the birth a lot, and just crossing my fingers that I go into labor naturally and at a normal time.  I know I shouldn't set myself up for fear of being induced because that may very well happen, but boy I really don't want that to happen.  And why not?  People get induced all the time and everything turns out just fine.  And in a way it's good because, again, you can time it and get everything ready.  But movies like The Business of Being Born put the fear in me about any medical interventions, which is why I've steered clear of anything of that ilk my entire pregnancy (I saw the movie years ago).  Still I trust Kaiser to not be in that style of hospital that's all about their convenience and scheduling unnecessary c-sections and all that - I know this happens in a lot of places, but Kaiser Sunset is not one of those places.  

So as of right now I'm healthy (feel kind of like crap a lot of the time, but that's normal), the babe is doing great (they said he could be about 7 lbs right now - crazy!), the danger of prematurity has passed, and everything looks good.  For this I am truly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you both are still healthy. I hear you about not spending on bedding. Since Elena hasn't spent more than an hour total in her crib, I'm glad I didn't spend tons on bedding...& at this point, the only benefit I'll probably even get out of the crib is that it turns into a double bed.

    ReplyDelete